1

Grief

Grief. There are five stages to it. Denial, anger, bargaining, depression, and finally, acceptance.

The denial is the easiest stage, you think this can't be possible, your mind doesn't comprehend it and you're numb. Blissfully numb.

Then there's anger, another one of my favorites. You irrationally shift the blame to people you felt have failed only to mask the pain but it never feels better, only bitter and guilty.

Bargaining was different for me, I knew death was final, I knew there was no going back but that didn't stop me from asking myself if I could have done things differently. If I could have changed the outcome.

Acceptance. This is where you have some magical epiphany and things start to get better, you start to heal and move forward. No one tells you it's more like a sucker punch to the gut that brings you to your knees. But you accept that the person you once loved is gone forever and life changes irrevocably.

Death ripped the sun from my solar system and left only a big, gaping black hole that sucked the joy from my life.

No one seems to have an answer beyond that, how do you move forward once you've accepted? When you're so lost that the once happy memories of your life are now suffocating you.

That's what I want to know, that's why I was in this car with the white box on the passenger seat of my Tucson.

Driving for twelve hours to reach the town of Silver Point. Nestled between rocky mountains, dense woods, and a silver lake wrapping around its border. It sounded like heaven to some but to me, it held questions never answered.

I sighed deeply, my eyes flicking to the box as the words of the first letter crashed down on me.