33

The drive home was quiet

The drive home was quiet. I kept my eyes on the road, refusing to think of anything else. Why did it bother me so much? Why did it feel like my heart was being shredded?

I knew why I was just afraid to admit it.

When I walked through the cottage door I immediately ran for the shower. My mind drifted to the times Lucas made me feel alive. When he sat with me after one of mom's harder letters.

I hated these memories. They showed a softer side of Lucas, one I had come to rely on. I sunk to the shower floor, finally allowing myself the one thing I've wanted to do all day.

I cried.

But it was more than that. That wall that Lucas broke down, was now a field of glass, and I was standing in the middle. Alone.

He made me trust him, he made me give in, and now he just left. He got what he wanted. I was incredibly stupid and naive.

After my shower, I tied a towel around my head and grabbed the shirt I'd been sleeping in. I tossed it to the far side of the bed, deciding I'd rather sleep in my own clothes.

Next I grabbed the box of letters and suck down into the couch. I should never have let Lucas distract me from my reason for coming to Silver Point.

So, I picked up the fifth letter and started reading.

Dear kit

Love is a strange thing. It makes us crazy and reckless but when the dust settles, we ask ourselves if it's real, if it's even worth it.

To risk your heart is one of the scariest things you can do in life. It means giving the most vulnerable parts of yourself to someone and it doesn't always work out.

I know I haven't been the best role model to you when it came to love. I let it blind me and cause me to lose many people that were important to me.

I wished I could go back and demand what I knew I deserved. But I was scared to lose what I thought was love.

What I had wasn't love. Love is kind and compassionate, love is caring and understanding, but most of all, love is compromise. We do these things for people we care about because we want to protect them, mind, body, and soul.