5

Lucas had pulled apart the whole front porch, removing all of the deadwood and rusted nails and leaving the skeleton bare

Lucas had pulled apart the whole front porch, removing all of the deadwood and rusted nails and leaving the skeleton bare. The banging stopped and a few seconds later Lucas found me and Monica in the kitchen.

Monica poured me and Lucas a glass of cold lemonade, "I think we all deserve a little break, don't you?"

"Mom, Katelyn never even signed the final contract."

"Yeah, I almost forgot about that," I said.

Lucas narrowed his eyes at me and Monica casually waved us off, "No bother now, we can get that sorted later, but for now, I need boxes Lucy, and lots of them."

Monica clasped her hands together and I nearly choked on the lemonade. That nickname would never get old and I was going to have so much fun with it. Lucas' jaw was set but even this big guy couldn't keep the blush off his face. I was thoroughly enjoying his discomfort.

Lucas grumbled, "Fine, I need to get wood for the porch anyway."

Monica patted her son's arm and started to walk off, "Right, well enjoy the lemonade first and I'll go check what you've done to the porch."

When Monica was out of earshot, I waggled my eyebrows at Lucas, "Lucy, huh?"

"You know, I just knew you were going to make fun of that!"

The laughs I've been holding back all day finally burst free and tears sprung to my eyes. I couldn't help it, the dejected look on his face just added insult to injury. My stomach hurt but one look at the thunderous glare Lucas was shooting me, I felt it all bubble up again.

Lucas waved his hand as if to motion for me to go on, "Ha Ha, okay get it out of your system already."

"Oh come on, don't be like that!"