18

I poured myself a cup of black coffee, the house too quiet with mom gone and thought to wake Katelyn up for breakfast

I poured myself a cup of black coffee, the house too quiet with mom gone and thought to wake Katelyn up for breakfast. That though, however, diminished itself, last night must have taken a toll on her. Something had shifted between us, there was this understanding that wasn't there before. I kept telling myself it's because we both had lost a lot but it wasn't that entirely, there was something more.

I shook my head in an attempt to shake the thought from my mind altogether. We bonded over our grief and now had a better understanding of each other, that was it. Nothing more and nothing less. There couldn't be anything more.

After a quick shower, I got dressed and headed for Katelyn's house. The landscaper would be there early and I could show him around before Katelyn got there, he needed to know what he was letting himself in for. The drive was over quick and I waited in the front yard until Dustin's beat up truck pulled into the driveway.

The scrawny guy hopped out of the truck with the door squealing loudly upon closing, "What the hell Lucas? Ya called me here to cut down the Amazon?" He scratched his head ruffling the wild curls until they stood on end.

I laughed, "It's a big job Dustin, you ready for it."

"Ya man, ya know I never say no to work! Might not be pretty now but it sure will be once I'm done with it."

"Wait till you see the backyard."

Dustin squinted his murky brown eyes in the sunlight, "Back's always worse than the front."

We walked around the house since I was still waiting on the okay from the electrician, which led to us having to walk through the tall grass. At first, I was just going to get Dustin to give the yard a good clean up but after my mom told me this was important to Katelyn, I decided to let this be her decision. Dustin may have been a bit strange but he was the best at this and he took every job seriously.

We came to the backyard and Dustin let out a low whistle before scratching his head again, "Man that pool looks like something my dog threw up once. Mary got super pissed cuz it was on her new carpet."