38

I woke up to the worst headache known to man

I woke up to the worst headache known to man. My mouth tasted like some scruffy animal had taken a crap in there and my stomach swirled around nauseously. I sat up straight, only to regret it when my brain started to pound against my skull.

My eyes drifted over the familiar pool house. There was a pool table in the center, with an air hockey table at the far back. The fridge in the kitchen was always filled to the brim with junkfood and alcohol.

This was known as the drunk-pad. Whenever one of us got too drunk to go home, Layton would let us crash here until we sobered up. I was unceremoniously dropped on the couch, still wearing the same clothes I wore yesterday.

The front door opened and Layton stepped through. "Morning Sunshine, how are you feeling?"

I groaned. "Like I'm hungover."

Memories of last night flicked through my head and I cringed. I dropped my head into my hands. "You could have at least carried me to bed, Lay. You of all people know how much this chouch sucks."

Layton laughed. "I did put you in bed. Twice. You kept getting up to go back to Chloe's house. Eventually, you passed put on the couch and I thought it better to let you sleep it off."

I made a strangled noise in the back of my throat. "God, why didn't you take me home?"

"So your mother could kill you?" Layton asked raising an eyebrow.

I nodded my head. "Good point." My head dropped to the back of the couch and I rubbed my hands down my face. "I really fucked up this time, didn't I?"

"Well, it could have gone better. If you were sober."

I laughed. "No, I think if I was sober I wouldn't have gone at all. This is so messed up."

Layton sat down on the couch next to me. "Why did you go? I mean you said it was a fling and it was over, so why go there pissed out of your mind?"

My jaws clenched and flicked my gaze away from Layton. "Doesn't matter now. It's over."

Layton laughed. "See that's what you don't get."