30

I hear Lucas' steady heartbeat thumping in his chest

I hear Lucas' steady heartbeat thumping in his chest. It coaxes my eyes open to a soft light breaking through the thin material of the tent. I'm laying on his chest with both my arms drapped over him, my legs intertwine with his and I spend a full minute listing to his soft breathing.

I peer up at him and my heart aches inside my chest. Even in sleep he's beautiful. My hand reaches out to push back the inky black hair that falls across his eyes.

He doesn't stir and I smile to myself thinking of last night. He made love to me all through the night and it surprised me how I could still want him even after all that. Even now, I feel my body react to him, growing hot with anticipation.

Then, like it always does, reality slowly slinks back in like a theif, stealing the brief happiness that I had. This wasn't permanent. I knew that from the start but I couldn't seem to convince my heart of that.

I slowly pushed myself up as quietly as possible. I dressed quickly and stepped out of the tent. It was still early and the sun had only started to peek over the horizon. So, I was surprised to find Liam sitting on one of the camping chair, lost in thought.

He looked more serious than I've ever seen him. He had a haunted look on his face and seemed more disheveled than ever.

Liam doesn't look up as I make myself a cup of coffee. He doesn't even make a joke or even notices me.

"Do you want some coffee?" I ask and Liam's startled gaze snaps up to meet mine.

"No thanks, I'm good." He holds up a silver flask and shakes it, the liquid sloshing inside.

I take a seat in one of the chairs across from him, "It's a little early to start drinking."

Liam gives me a spiteful smile that seems out of place on his handsome face. One that speaks of pain and my heart jumps. I'm not Liam's biggest fan but he seems to be dealing with something deeper than the others. I know loss when I see it but there is a soul-crushing regret in his eyes that pains me just to look at him.