34

I am the worst human being on the face of the planet

I am the worst human being on the face of the planet. If anyone ever wanted to know how to thoroughly fuck up any chance with a woman, all they had to do was ask me.

I ran my hands through my hair before turning back to the closed door. I wanted to go back and convince her to give us a shot even if it wasn't forever.

There was a soft sound beyond the door and my hand stilled. She was crying and I did that. If I didn't feel pike a pig before I did now.

Beyond the door, Katelyn was sobbing. It sliced at me and everything inside me screamed to go in there and make it better. But it was better this way.

We had to end it, it wasn't going anywhere and in a little more than a month, she would be leaving. It seemed like the logical thing to do but where Katelyn was concerned, logical fled.

I had plenty rules, and I broke every single one of them for her.

So, instead of doing what I really wanted, I walked back to the main house and to my bedroom.

After taking a long shower I crawled into bed. It was odd, not sleeping next to Katelyn and I found myslef looking for her more than once.

I tried as hard as I could to fall asleep. I counted sheep, I even thought of those boring math lectures in high school that used to knock me out cold. Still nothing.

My mind stayed on Katelyn. No matter how hard I tried to push those thoughts away. I never cared if woman got too attached, they always knew the score but that didn't stop them from trying.

I threw the covers back and stepped out of bed. There was no way I would sleep and staying in bed only made me restless.

I walked downstair, switched on the TV, and dropped into the couch. It was mindless but it was better than thinking of Katelyn the whole time.