Chapter XXXVIII

Few minutes since I've found out that my father was dead. Felt like hours, years, decades. The information didn't sit right in my mind. It was something I didn't exactly expect. Seemed surreal that someone so close could be taken away so easily.

"Maya, hey, I'm so sorry dear" Hermione crouched to me. However, her further words ended up not entering my head, since I lied down on my father's chest. The corpse of his. My vision became blurry and I completely rested on his cold remains.

"We're here for you" she gently stroked my back, trying to calm me down. I didn't.

"Why?" I questioned with my eyes absolutely sunken. "Why him? Why my dad?" I kept asking. Heard Hermione sobbing behind me. They all loved him too. Sweet and carrying. We always say the good things about people that are gone but now it was different. We had only postive things to say about him. Remus Lupin was a great person, too innocent to be taken away so soon...

Another minute, quarter and in fact the whole hour. The time kept passing just like the sadness in me. Yet it was strong but with each next second, I could manage to control it more.

Harry and Hermione comforted me. My supportive friends. Not always seemed as, yet now they remained with me. I appreciated that a lot, but I only had one thing truly on my mind. Why my father?

After an actual hour passed on me just saying goodbye to my father and my friends doing their best to help me adjust to such loss, Harry created the sentence which brought some light to this whole mess of darkness.

"We've won, Voldemort's dead, Hogwart is a safe place again" he whispered, noticing how I was falling asleep, leaned onto his arm while still holding my dad's hand.

Few more moments later

I said my last goodbye. The last moment I get to see him. I hugged him and kissed his forehead. So thankful that he was the person who introduced the world to me. The tears froze in my eyes, when I came to terms with the fact that my father is gone for good.

It wasn't the end of our problems.

That would be too easy. Tragical yet too great. The next thing I felt was myself getting a major flashback.

Fuck, Cedric.

"What happened to Diggory, where is he... Is he alright?—" I begun speaking chaotically. With the words leaving my mouth, my head went spinning around the room to check if he was in there. However, I didn't find him.

"We can check in the hospital wing, he should be there" Hermione informed me, grabbing my hand. I squeezed it harder, seeing the dark end already. Fuck, the stress only rose, realising that he could be gone as well.

The three of us begun walking in the decided direction. Mine and Mione's hands still intertwined, while Harry walked aside us. I was so grateful that they're safe with me now.

The moment we stood in front of the hospital door, I knew something wasn't right. Just the intuition, but some sort of hope was still pinching against my body. I internally begged that he's alright, although I knew, it was most likely impossible...

"Open the door Maya" Granger spoke. My body shook. The chills were brought up again all over my skin. I was more than scared to find out the truth about Cedric.

"Here, I'll help you" Harry stepped in front of me and grabbed the handle. Oh, how the fear was piercing my sore body now.

He looked at me questioning, clearly waiting for my approval. I nodded. Seconds later, I saw him inside of the enormous room.