Chapter 4 Heritage

At a farm in Kansas City

These were the old stomping grounds of Sam's father, Jeffery Austin. Jeffery grew up on this farm, and it has been there for three generations, and this is a place where Sam comes to reflect when things get tough.

The colossal farm was filled with vast grass, sunflowers, wheat, and a barn. A beautiful white and black Bugatti Chiron parked in front of a white house made out of bricks. Sam stepped out of the car, and an old man with grey hair stepped out of the house and said, "Sam."

 The latter was Sam's uncle, Brian.

The two shared an embrace, "How have you been? It's been like, what... Four years?" Brian asked. 

Sam smirked and said, "Still inquisitive as ever, hey."

 The two chuckled, and Sam asked, "So, is my dad's old lab still inside the barn?"

"Yeah," Brian replied. 

Sam smirked and asked, "Would you mind if I looked inside?"

"Sure," Brian replied with a shrug.

Once Sam stepped inside the Barn, and he was immediately flooded with memories. He looked around the barn and saw something huge covered in a cloak. He exhaled as he removed the veil. The garment revealed a space pod, Sam was in disbelief, and he touched the ship. The pod opened up, Sam felt the pod, and it divulged a flash drive. He grabbed it while the device beeped. He feared that if he dropped it, it might self-destruct.

"What the?" He muttered to himself, and then the flash drive projected something that looked like the Earth. A red dot(beacon) was on one of the continents.

***********

Three Days Later

Hell has no mercy for the faint-hearted, especially in the land of ice, the arctic circle. The Land is defined as Hell on Earth, however, it still sustains a small portion of life forms. It harbors unbearable temperatures, dropping below zero degrees. Some wonder how this land's life forms keep up with the daily grind of staring it in the face and living to tell the tale. Polar bears, arctic foxes, gyrfalcons, and many more. They have adapted to the harsh Arctic, which hasn't pardoned them from its cruel reception.

A jet from Austin Industries welcomed the white, mushy land with a gush of wind, exhilarating from its wind turbines. The pilot switched off the vehicle and placed the headphones aside before leaving the cockpit. He opened the exterior door of the plane by pressing one of the many buttons on the control panel. The cabin consisted of two cushions and a plasma screen tv. Additionally, it had a glass table that was positioned behind the cushions. Sam sat behind the glass table and worked extensively; you could hear the sound of clicks bellowing with rhythm as he tapped on the keys with precise speed.

"Mr. Austin, sorry to disturb you, but we have arrived, sir," said the pilot with subservience and took off his cap.

He sat back on his chair and stretched his limbs. He yawned and scratched his eyes after that.

"Good to know. Thanks for your assistance, Barney."

Since Barney opened the exterior door of the aircraft before he went to the cabin, Sam stood in between the frame of a door and feasted his eyes on the ethereal view that smiled at him. The land was not like any other he had been to.

A white, slushy flooring expanded beyond the peaks of huge mountains from afar. Surprisingly though, the sun stood below the horizon. For this reason, it sent forth a dismal frequency of light while the breeze greeted Sam with a hard-hitting blast. The hoarse waft sprinkled a dash of snowflakes on his cheeks and white scarf. He also wore a red beanie and a blue puffer jacket.