Chapter 39 A Looming Threat

Austin Penthouse

Diana perched her hands against the glass railing of the balcony. She gazed at the falling sun, leaving with its significant treasure, light. Shades crawled from the corners and alleys, spreading thoroughly without effort. 

The sky now drenched with indigo, seasoned the New Yorkers for the impending darkness. Only a speck of red and orange light barely hung onto the horizon as the street lights were set ablaze, providing light unto the constellation of people that trotted down the pavements to their intended locations.

She felt a light tap on her shoulder and she jumped instantly. She looked back and saw Dan, he was wearing his backpack and glanced toward the horizon with a smile.

"Oh, hi. I didn't see you there," Diana said as she shone a smile at Dan.

"Yeah, I thought I'd come and say goodbye. Where's Sam at?" Dan inquired as he looked around.

"Oh well, you know that our brother is..." Diana stopped speaking as soon as she realized how awkward it felt to label Sam as her brother.

Dan chuckled in response, "Don't worry, you aren't the only one who's still not used to this weird family dynamic."

She also chuckled and looked at him, "Well, will you look at that... Something we can agree on." 

"Yeah, so... Ahem!... I'll see you around," Dan said, and he walked back inside.

***********

Sam entered his abode as soon as the elevator doors slid apart. Once he got inside, he went toward the kitchen and found Diana dining on her meal. She skewed through the slab of fillet mignon with her butter knife and placed the pierced meat into her mouth. She swallowed and closed her eyes, the variety of flavors dancing on her tastebuds. 

"Hey, Dania! Have you seen Dan?" He inquired.

"He left a while ago," she replied.

Sam nodded, he was about to walk away, but then he stopped, and he turned around.

"Now that Dan's left and that Harrison's dealing with his mother's death... Is it correct to assume that you're leaving next?" Sam inquired.

"Ohh, about that... I was wondering if I could crash here for a lil while until I get back on my feet." 

He smiled at the prospect of seeing her around more often. after all, who knew the possibilities that awaited them, perhaps developing a stronger bond between them as siblings could be one of them.

"Stay as long as you want. Plus my butler was starting to warm up to you guys," Sam said.

Diana nodded with a smile, "Okay," She stated softly.

The elevator chimed, and this caught their attention. They faced the elevator, and the door opened. Kendall walked out and sprinted straight to Sam. 

She jumped at him excitedly, he grabbed her and they enveloped each other in a warm embrace. Diana raised an eyebrow in shock. Sam placed Kendall back on the ground.

"I'll leave you two to it," she said as she walked past them with her plate.

Sam nodded, as he watched her walk away. He turned his attention back to Kendall, once Diana was out of sight.

"Oh my God! Are you okay?" Kendall inquired as she inspected his face, looking for possible injuries. The latter though had none thanks to his efficient healing capability.

"I've been better," Sam replied with a playful tone.

Kendall didn't get the joke and folded her arms instead.