Chapter 7 An Unexpected Encounter

The early birds sang a beautiful serenade from the branches they stood on while a drop of dew fell from leaf to leaf. Then, the wind briskly stroked the bladed grass, covering a large span of the Samson's backyard. A wooden swing hung from one of the tree's branches, losing its fragrance because of the ravages of time.

Inside the Samson's residence, Arthur Samson, Harrison's father, grabbed a newspaper article in the kitchen while his wife, Maria, prepared breakfast.

"Well, let's see here," he commented as he read the headline of the newspaper article.

"A new era has begun," he said as he continued reading the headline.

"Sam Anthony Austin has taken over the reins of Austin industries...now this seems interesting," he commented. 

He caught his wife's attention at the utterance of those words. She paused for a brief moment and looked around to face him.

"What are you reading?" She asked.

"It states that the son of Jeffery Austin has taken over Austin Industries since the passing of his father," he commented.

"Wait, what?" She responded with shock. She untied her apron and walked over to her husband. When she stood by his side, she read the article with him.

"Wow, he continues to amaze me. He has another accomplishment on his resume. I'm beginning to understand why Harry looks up to him."

She walked back to the counter and began to dish up for him. She served him a stack of pancakes with syrup for a sweetening flavor. Around the stack of pancakes was a croissant, three slabs of bacon, and two boiled eggs cut in half. She placed the dish before him and lit the kettle to make his coffee.

"Thank you," he said, grabbing a fork and knife. Once he did that, he ate to his heart's content.

"Honey," she called out to him.

"Yes," he replied while skewing through a small section from the stack of pancakes.

"Do you remember the trials we went through to get to where we are today? I mean, I still can't believe that we made it this far."

After chewing, he grabbed a saviet and wiped his mouth, "Neither can I."

"Just to think that we didn't have enough money to afford a decent wedding, let alone a honeymoon. Soon after getting married, you were unfairly dismissed from your job."

He nodded while she placed her hand on her abdomen and looked through the window. She fixated her gate to the swing that once filled Harrison with joy during his innocent phase.

 "Years later, I had a miscarriage with our firstborn, Katherine," she continued.

There was silence at first, then she continued, "Look at us now; years later, we found well-paying jobs. And God gave us an incredible child through Harrison."

She turned around and smiled, "I can't wait for the day when he finally asks a girl out for prom or his first day in college. It would mean the world to me to watch him experience all the things we could not when we were his age. Oh, how time flies quickly."

Harrison came from his bedroom, using the stairs. He was fully dressed and strapped his bag. The mood of the environment then drastically changed.

"Morning, everyone," he said excitedly, running towards the door.

"Woah, Woah, what's this all about?! You haven't eaten your breakfast yet," Maria exclaimed as she placed her hands around her hips.

"Nah, it's cool, ma, besides I'm still gonna eat when I get to school," he replied excitedly.