Chapter 19 - Mehndi Night

2 months had passed. Tonight was Najma's mehndi. The day after tomorrow was the nikkah. We were now in New York. Everyone else was at Nosh api's house while Khalu had a rented a huge house for the bride's side to stay in. These two months, me, Hussain, Atif, Waqas, Maleeha and Afsa have been practising a dance to perform at the mehndi. There were also bride and groom dance battles so I had been practising with Maleeha and Afsa. Rizwan and Sara had agreed to help us win and even Imran had decided he'd dance a bit. It was going to be great. I dressed up in a green salwaar kameez that Abu had brought for me on my 20th birthday. Surprisingly it still fit. But I was missing Abu a lot. He was in Pakistan for 2 months now. I decided to call him. I sat down on my bed comfortably and dialed his number and after a few minutes, he picked up.
"Hello? Assalamulaikum."  I heard Abu's deep voice.
"Walaikumsalam. Abu, it's Zara." I smiled.
"Zara? Beti, kaise ho? (How are you?)" I can hear he was happy though the phone.
"Theek hoon. Aap? (I'm fine. You?)"
"Main bhi theek hoon. (I'm fina as well.) I talked to your Ami yesterday. How are the mehndi preparations going on?" Abu asked.
"Yeah they're good. But no fun without you. Even Najma's missing you." I pouted. I heard Abu chuckled.
"Don't worry. I'm coming back tonight." I heard Abu say.
"What?! Are you serious? How come I don't know about this?" I shouted.
"Beti, careful. Don't make me deaf. But yes. I'll be coming around 12:30am. Will you be able to pick me up? Maybe bring Rizwan or Adil with you?" Abu asked. This is what I loved about my dad. He was protective about me but he never thought I wouldn't be able to do something. Any other dad would never even have thought of letting his daughter pick him up at late night.
"Yes Abu, I'll pick you up. Then you can get here in time for the nikkah." I grinned.
"Yes, InshAllah- Aftab bhai! Haan. Assalamulaikum! Jee haan. Main theek hoon. Ek second. (I'm fine. One second.) Zara, I'll talk to you later okay?" Abu said and cut the call. Okay then. I put down my phone and went downstairs.
Later that night, we left for the venue, which was a great big hall we had hired all together. We entered with Najma while I held a big embroidered sheet over her head with Maleeha, Sara and Afsa. Najma sat down and all the aunties started to gush over how pretty she looked. I went back over to Imran, Maleeha, Sara and Afsa.
"Where's Rizwan?" I asked. Sara shrugged.
"He said he had to help with something." She said.
"Oh look, groom's family is here!" Afsa grinned happily. I turned around quickly.
There entered Shehry, wearing a blue salwaar kameez with a gold and brown dupatta. He was actually looking very good, maybe because he was grinning. How adorable! On his right was Waqas, wearing a black salwaar kameez and on Shehry's left was Hussain, who was looking dashing in a brown salwaar kameez with the same dupatta as Shehry. My heart stopped when I caught sight of him. This guy will be the death of me one day. Shaista aunty went over to Najma while Shehry, Hussain, Waqas and Atif came over to us.
"You look beautiful." Hussain smiled at me.
"You actually look pretty good today." I grinned back.
"Ahem! Hey, hi, hello there. If you two have finished, may I get some compliments too?" Waqas raised his eyebrows and smirked. I chuckled.
"Waqas bhai, you look awesome as usual. And Atif! Look at you man! Looking great. Shehry bhai. What the hell? Najma's going to have a heart attack." I laughed. Everyone chuckled.
"Woah, itna nahi. (Not that much.) I meant just for me thanks." Waqas winked. I looked at Shehry who was staring at something. Sorry, I meant someone because guess who it was? Yep. Najma, who was wearing a green and black salwaar kameez, blushing while all the ladies complimented her. He was staring at her with love in his eyes. Aww! I joined him in watching her as the ceremony was about to start. I watched as Rabia api brought a basket full of mehndi cones and other stuff to Shaista aunty. Shaista aunty put a dollop of mehndi onto Najma's hand and fed her a sweet. Next Maha was called to put mehndi on Najma's hand as the groom's sister. She was feeling a bit shy but she got over it and slowly put a bit of mehndi onto Najma's hand and kissed Najma's cheek. After Nosh api, Shahana aunty, Rabia api, Maria and Ambreen api had all put a bit of mehndi, the mehndi artists started their design. I went over and sat next to Najma.
"Having fun?" I asked. Najma smiled.
"Yeah, I guess. I probably gained two kilos from everyone feeding me sweets and my hands are going to fall off from holding them like this but it's worth it." Najma blushed looking over at Shehry.
"Oye hoye! But seriously, look at him all you can tonight because you won't be allowed until your nikkah. Next time you see him, you'll be married to him." I smirked. Najma looked down shyly and grinned.
"Shit! Zara, stop saying that. I keep grinning automatically." Najma said. I laughed.
"Jee, can you spell your groom's name? I need to put it in the mehndi." One of the mehndi artists asked.
"S, H, E, H, R, Y, A, A, R." Najma spelled out.
"Thanks." She smiled. Hussain walked over to us.
"Oh hello bhabi! Writing Shehry's name in your mehndi eh?" Hussain smirked. I quickly stood up.
"You go away. You're going to tell Shehry where his name is. Cheater." I narrowed my eyes. Hussain looked amused.
"No, I came here to call you for the dance." Hussain smirked. He started to walk away. I followed him to the stage. He stood in the middle while Waqas was in his left and Atif on his right. I was behind Hussain while Maleeha was behind Waqas and Afsa was behind Atif. We danced to Hangover, Character Deela Hai, Dhoom Machale and Do Dhaari Talwaar, occasionally moving so sometimes the boys were at the back and sometimes the girls were at the back. We finished making the DhoomBros sign. Everyone applauded and cheered. We all walked back to our table, panting. I sat down on a chair.
"That..was..awesome!" Waqas panted. Hussain nodded.
"That video is definitely going up on YouTube." Hussain grinned.
"But after the wedding. Cause all the fans would stalk Najma." Atif said. We all agreed.
"I also love how the boys danced better than the girls." Hussain smirked. Oh no he didn't.
"Excuse me? What better? We were way better than you all!" Before I could say anything, Maleeha exploded.
"Prove karo jee. (Prove it jee.)" Hussain grinned.
"We'll show you. Bride's side vs groom's side. Done!" Maleeha sat down on a chair.
"Oosh. Maleeha, calm down. Theek hai. (Okay.) Atif, Waqas, Hussain. Dikhao tumhare dance. (Show us your dance.)" I said nervously in case Maleeha exploded again and put my hand on her shoulder. Hussain, Waqas and Atif went to the stage and danced to Mere Brother Ki Dulhan. Awesome song choice though. After them, I danced to Hum To Bhai Jaise Hain with Maleeha and Afsa. I then danced to Nakhriley with Adil and Rizwan. Rizwan and Sara even danced to Sawan Aaya Hai together, which we didn't know about. Hussain and Waqas danced to Saans (which was very weird) and even Maha danced with Atif and Hussain to Angreji Beat. After all the dances, we were sitting at our table while all the other guests were busy among themselves.
"So who won?" Waqas asked.
"Obviously us. We did awesome." Afsa grinned. Atif scoffed.
"Acha. (Okay.) Keep telling yourself that." He rolled his eyes.
"Why don't we ask the parents?" I suggested. Everyone agreed and we walked over to the table where the parents were sitting. Ami was sitting with Khala, Shaista aunty, Shahana aunty, Saafia mumani and Ambreen api.
"Mama, you saw all the dances. Who won? Bride's side or groom's side?" Hussain asked. Shaista aunty laughed.
"Beta, itna competitive kyun? (Son, why so competitive?)" Shaista aunty asked Hussain. Hussain glanced at me. I smirked.
"Aunty, tell us. It was groom's side, right?" Waqas asked.
"Beta, sorry leken (but) bride's side did wonderful. You guys did great as well. But bride's side wins." Shaista aunty grinned. Hussain, Waqas and Atif all groaned loudly while the rest of us cheered.
Later, I was sitting on the stage next to Najma while the mehndi artists were putting mehndi on my hand.
"Is there a letter you would like me to put in your mehndi?" The girl asked me. I smiled to myself and looked over at Hussain who was chatting with some guy.
"Yeah. H." I blushed. The girl smiled and continued. After a while, she was done and I left the stage and made my way over to Hussain. Hussain was still chatting to the guy.
"Yeah it was- Hey! You got your mehndi done! Looks great." Hussain grinned upon seeing me. I shook my head.
"Thanks." I smiled.
"Oh this is Zara, Najma's cousin and Zara, this is my cousin Amir." Hussain introduced me to the guy. Amir smiled at me.
"Nice to meet you. I'm going to go see Waqas." Amir said and left. I sat down at a table with Hussain. I was feeling really hungry but couldn't eat because of the mehndi. It must have shown on my face because Hussain was staring at my face.
"Kya hua? (What happend?)" He asked me. I shook my head.
"Kuch nahi. (Nothing.)" I answered shortly. He wouldn't be able to do anything about my hunger.
"Yaar, I know. Kuch to hua. (Something has happend.)" Hussain raised an eyebrow.
"Hmm pyaar hua. (Hmm love has happend.)" I grinned. Hussain shook his head.
"What's wrong?"
"Bohot bhook lage. (I'm very hungry.)" I pouted. Hussain burst out laughing.
"That's all? Mein socha bohot serious baat hai. Theek hai. (I thought it was something serious. Okay.) Come with me." Hussain grinned and started walking away. I followed him to a secluded area behind the DJ area.
"Um, Hussain, why are we here?" I asked nervously.
"Wait here." Hussain said and left. I sat down onto a chair. Hussain came back a few minutes later with a plate of food. He sat down next to me and picked up a bit of biryani. He brought it closer of my face.
"Yeh lo. (Here.)" Hussain smiled.
"Are you going to feed me?" I raised my eyebrow. Hussain grinned. I opened my mouth and Hussain fed me. I felt so loved. Hussain carefully looked through the biryani in case there was an elachi in there. He cared so much for me. Hussain put some more biryani into my mouth.
"You're so motherly." I giggled after swallowing that bite. Hussain grinned, feeding me more.
"I like caring for those I love. Are you still hungry?" Hussain asked, rounding up the biryani that was left. I shook my head while he fed me the last bit of biryani.
"Stay here. I'll be back." He said and left again. I was feeling much better. I sighed. I love Hussain so much. He came back with a glass of water.
"Here." He said, helping me drink the water. I drank it slowly, keeping my eyes on Hussain. He looked so concerned.
"Ho gaya?" He asked. I nodded. Hussain stood up with the glass in his hand.
"Chalo, before anyone gets suspicious." Hussain smirked. I rolled my eyes and walked away. I walked back to the table we were sitting at and sat down. Hussain sat down next to me.
"Hey, Zara, did you buy a dress for the wedding yet?" Hussain suddenly asked.
"No and before you ask, I'm not going shopping with you." I answered. Hussain laughed.
"Why? You don't like shopping?"
"Hate shopping. The only reason I went that day was cause you were there." I scowled. Hussain grinned.
"Sweet. But that's not why. Do you have something to wear?" He asked. I shook my head.
"I haven't picked anything yet." I said. Hussain grinned at me.
"Please stop giving me that creepy smile and tell me what's up." I frowned. Hussain chuckled.
"I brought a dress for you." He smiled. No way!
"What?! You're joking! Why?" I asked, astonished.
"Because you're my girl. And I felt like it." Hussain smiled shyly. I grinned.
"Naww! You're so adorable! I would hug you but I can't." I said, glancing at my mehndi filled hands.
"No need. Once the mehndi's off, hug me all you want. And anything else." Hussain said casually. I hit him with my knee. Hussain laughed.
"Joking! Joking! I'll show you the dress later." Hussain smiled at me. I nodded. We sat next to each other silently, watching everyone else dance and celebrate into the night. Later, I went to the washroom and washed my mehndi off. I was glad to see that my mehndi turned out dark and beautiful. I could see the H in my mehndi and ran my finger over it. I can't wait to show him. I ran out of the washroom and over to where he was sitting.
"Hussain! Look!" I grinned, showing him my mehndi. Hussain took a look and his eyes widened.
"Wow! That's so dark! You know what they say about girls whose mehndi turn out dark." Hussain smirked. I raised my eyebrow.
"That their lovers love them a lot. And they're right. Your lover must love you a lot." Hussain whispered to me. I shoved him, laughing. I sat down next to him, and watched the night of celebrations.

~

Tujhe dekha to yeh jana sanam
Pyaar hota hai deewana sanam
Ab yaha se kahaan jaye hum
Teri bahon mein mar jaye hum

I woke up to my phone ringing. I quickly answered it.
"Hello?" I answered sleepily.
"Zara? Were you sleeping?" It was Abu.
"Nahi! (No!) Abu! Assalamulaikum! Kaise ho? (How are you?)" I said quickly, sitting up.
"Walaikumsalam. I'm good. I'm at the airport. Are you able to pick me up? If you're too tired, I'll take a taxi." Abu asked uncertainly. Oh damn! I forgot about Abu!
"No, Abu! I'm fine. I'll be there in a bit." I said and cut the call. I looked over to my right where Hussain was sleeping. I must have fallen asleep on his shoulder. Thank Allah everyone else is still too busy celebrating to have seen us. Everyone was still dancing so I decided to go pick Abu up. I didn't want to wake Hussain up so I started to walk away slowly.
"Zara. Where you going?" I heard him say in his sleepy voice. Hayeeee! His sleepy voice sounds so good! I turned around.
"Abu's at the airport. I'm going to go pick him up." I said. Hussain stood up.
"I'm coming with you." He said, walking off. Meh. I followed him to his car and sat in the front seat. Hussain started driving to the airport.
"Hussain, babe, are you sure you're not too tired? I can drive if you want." I asked. Hussain grinned.
"I'm fine. But you called me babe."
"Oh did I? Sorry, didn't realise."
"Why are you saying sorry? I like it." Hussain smirked. I chuckled.
"Sure babe." I grinned. An hour later, we were at the airport. It was already 1am by now. I stepped out of the car after Hussain parked it. I saw Abu sitting on one of the seats, on his phone.
"Abu!" I called and ran over to him. Abu looked up and grinned. He stood up and I hugged him.
"Sorry I'm so late." I apologised.
"Koi baat nahi. (No problem.) Where's your car?" Abu smiled, lifting his bag over his head.
"Abu, actually-" Before I could say anything, Hussain walked over to us and put his hand out to Abu.
"Assalamulaikum." Hussain smiled. Abu shook his hand.
"Walaikumsalam. You came as well?" Abu smiled. Hussain nodded.
"Jee. I thought it was a bit late for Zara to head out so I came along. I hope you don't mind." Hussain explained politely. I was shocked. Hussain is always joking around with me. But I loved that he showed so much respect to elders.
"No, of coure not! I don't mind. It's good you did. I was telling her to bring Adil or Rizwan along." Abu grinned.
"Let's go." I said. They both agreed and we started to go to Hussain's car.
"Uncle! Here, let me take the bag." Hussain said, taking Abu's bag from him. Abu patted his shoulder and walked ahead of us.
"Are you trying to butter my dad up?" I whispered to Hussain.
"It's called respect babe." Hussain whispered back. I rolled my eyes. Idiot. Hussain put Abu's bag in the trunk and we made our way back to the mehndi. Abu walked inside. Before I could follow him, Hussain called me back.
"Idhar aao. (Come here.)" Hussain said, calling me back to his car.
"Sup?" I asked. Hussain took out a box from the trunk of his car.
"Here." He smiled. I took it from him and opened it. Inside was a blue, green and white dress.
"OMG!" I exclaimed, taking the dress out. Hussain held onto the box. I examined the dress. It was beautiful, exactly something I would have picked. But there was only one problem.
"Hussain, yeh..yeh to sleeveless hai. (This is sleeveless.)" I said, looking up at him. Hussain smiled.
"I knew you'd say that. See, I love how modest you are. But there's a dupatta in the box and you'll look beautiful. Otherwise I wouldn't have picked it." Hussain said, with that dreamy look on his face. This time I hugged him.
"Thank you." I whispered. Hussain pulled back and smiled at me. He pinched my cheek.
"Jee kar dekta rahoon. (I want to keep looking.)" He grinned.
"Kya? (What?)" I asked, confused.
"Oh kitna pyaara tujhe rab ne banaya! (Oh how pretty has God made you!)" Hussain started to sing before I put my hand on his mouth.
"Aye Bollywood wala! Ab andher chalein? (Hey Bollywood guy! Now shall we go inside?)" I giggled. Hussain put his hand on top of mine and kissed my hand. I would have fainted but I was frozen. Hussain took my hand down and smirked.
"Haan chalein. (Yes let's go.)" Hussain put the dress inside the box and handed it to me. I took it to my car and put it inside with Abu's bag. I walked inside with Hussain.

Hello guys :D Liked the update? The picture is of our bride and groom, and our adorable couple at the mehendi :D

Guys:

What was the best scene?
Was this too short?
Is it too boring?
Did you like it?

Please answer these questions because they really help. Please vote, comment and share as well! Thanks :D bye :)