Chapter 20 - Mothers Always Know

It was finally the wedding day. It was 10am and in a few minutes, we were going to make our way to the mosque for the nikkah. Yesterday, Najma was full begging me to let her talk to Shehry but I had strict orders from Khala. Shehry and Najma weren't allowed to see each other until after their nikkah. Hussain texted me saying that Shehry was doing the same. Such an adorable couple. I got ready and we made our way to the mosque. I stayed with Najma inside the car while all the parents started to greet each other. I could see Hussain and Maha waiting patiently with their parents.
"You can go talk to him." Najma nudged me. I shot a look at her.
"Just because I'm looking at him, doesn't mean I want to talk to him, unlike you." I glared. Najma giggled.
"I still find it really cute that he bought you a dress." Najma grinned. I smiled automatically.
"Yeah, I feel so guilty." I smiled at Hussain. He had his arms wrapped around Maha's shoulders and his head on hers. I love him so much.
"Guilty? Are you crazy? It's sweet! Be grateful! Hussain's such a lovely guy. You're lucky to have him." Najma said. I nodded. It was true. It was true luck that someone so caring and loving could love me. Everyone started to go inside the mosque. Khala opened the door of the car.
"Chalo. (Let's go.)" She smiled at us. I put my dupatta on my head while Khala helped Najma get out of the car. We went inside and sat down behind the sheet. On the other side was Shehry and his family. The maulvi was seated in the middle on the sheet. He started saying all the duas. Najma was seated beside me. I looked at her. She was fiddling with her hands.
"Najma Khan, daughter of Muhammad Faizan Khan, do you agree to this marriage?" The maulvi asked. Najma looked frozen. I nudged her slightly.
"Qubool hai. Qubool hai. Qubool hai." Najma said quietly. The maulvi handed over the document which she signed.
"Muhammad Shehryaar Asif, son of Muhammad Asif Mahmood, do you agree to this marriage?" The maulvi then asked. Najma was focused on the sheet.
"Qubool hai. Qubool hai. Qubool hai." We heard Shehry say. Najma breathed a sigh of relief. I side hugged her.
"Congratulations Mr. and Mrs. Shehryaar Asif." The maulvi congratulated after Shehry had signed the document. The sheet was taken down and we could finally see the Asif family and the Riaz family. Everyone was hugging and congratulating each other. Shehry and Najma were finally married. I hugged Najma and then hugged Khala. I was so happy. Everyone from the groom's side walked over to us where more congratulating happend. Hussain smiled at me to which I smiled back.
"Mubarak ho, jee! (Congratulations jee!)" Waqas shook my hand. I grinned at him.
"Now when's your turn?" I joked. Waqas laughed.
"Yeah, no. First Hussain." Waqas chuckled. I shook my head at him. I knew he was talking about me. After all the congratulating, we went home to get ready for the wedding ceremony that night.

~

Later that night, we arrived at the venue. Guests started to arrive an hour after we did. I started to walk around to see where I could help when I bumped into Atif.
"Hey Atif! Shouldn't you be entering with the baarat (groom's family)?" I asked, confused. Atif grinned.
"I would except I wanted to give my family some company. I'm going to go outside when Hussain calls me." Atif explained.
"Oh."
"Zara, come meet my family. I've told them about you." Atif grinned.
"Okay." I smiled. I walked with Atif to his table where Atif's family was seated.
"Zara this is my sister Aroosa." Atif introduced me to the woman sitting there. She stood up and hugged me.
"Hi Zara. I've heard so much about you. How did you go with the movie?" Aroosa smiled at me.
"Yeah it was awesome." I smiled back.
"This is Waqas, my husband, my son, Zeeshan and my daughter, Zeba." Aroosa introduced me to the man who was sitting next to her with a baby in his arms and a little boy standing next to him.
"Hi." I smiled at Waqas bhai who nodded at me.
"Those are my other sisters. Malaika and Maham." Atif pointed to the two girls sitting next to Aroosa.
"Wow, so many sisters. Lucky aren't you?" I grinned at Atif who laughed.
"Actually I am. I love them so much and I've got Waqas, Shehry and Hussain as my brothers. I am very lucky. And I've even got two bhabis now." Atif winked. I chuckled.
"Yeah...hang on. Did you say two bhabis?" I frowned. Did this guy know how to count?
"So are you my khala then?" Atif giggled. Then it hit me. The saala was talking about me! I hit his shoulder gently, laughing.
"Hey Zara! Atif!" I heard someone call me and Atif. I turned around to see Faiza, Arisha, Hamzah and Madhav make their way over to us. I hugged Faiza and Arisha.
"OMG I haven't seen you guys for ages!" I exclaimed.
"Yes! We need to meet up more! When are you all going back?" Faiza asked.
"Not sure but yeah, we'll hang out." I smiled.
"But even if you guys weren't here, Atif came over a lot." Faiza smirked. Atif rubbed his neck.
"Yeah, um, Arisha left her sweater at my place and um.." Atif tried to defend himself.
"He has a crush on Arisha, isliye! (that's why!)" Hamzah laughed. Atif shoved him.
"Oye bhai, don't shove him too hard. You have muscles whereas he's a full mummy." Madhav grinned. I looked at Arisha who was blushing. I mentally giggled at them. Suddenly Afsa came running to me.
"Zara api! Baarat's here!" She said, pulling me outside.
"Arisha, Faiza, you guys come as well." I said, pulling them as well. Atif came with us. We stood at the gate while Atif went outside. Shehry came in with all his family including my one and only Superstaa dressed in a black salwaar kameez. Shehry came over to the gate but we had put a long piece of ribbon, barricading the entrance.
"Aha! Not yet, Shehry bhai!" Afsa grinned.
"You've already won over Najma but now you have to win over her sisters." I said, pointing to me, Maleeha, Afsa and Sara.
"Acha jee? (Really jee?) How so?" Shehry grinned back.
"Money would be great." Maleeha said casually.
"Hey! Not so fast! My brother won't be giving anything!" Hussain defended.
"Kyun nahi? (Why not?)" I fired back.
"If the bride's sisters get stuff, the groom's brothers should get stuff too." Hussain winked. Atif, Waqas, Khurram bhai, Kamran, Taimoor bhai and Saqib bhai all cheered.
"You wish! He's taking away my sister and you're gaining a bhabi. Why should we give you more?" I put my hands on my waist. Hussain opened his mouth to say something when Shehry interrupted him.
"Acha acha! Theek hain. (Okay, okay! Alright.) Here." Shehry grinned, handing us $20 each. However, Maleeha didn't even touch it.
"Is this really what you think my sister is worth?" Maleeha said teasingly.
"If I have to give you what your sister is worth, it'll take my whole life to earn that amount. And even then, it'll be too less." Shehry smiled shyly. All the girls behind me went "Awww!".
"Okay here. This okay?" Shehry asked, giving $70 to me, Sara, Afsa and Maleeha. We took the money and Afsa cut the ribbon, letting Shehry through. Everyone started going inside. I started to go as well when I felt my wrist being tugged.
"Assalamulaikum." Hussain grinned. I tugged my hand out of his grip.
"Walaikumsalam." I said and started to walk away again when he stood in front of me.
"What's the hurry?" Hussain raised his eyebrows.
"You do know there's a wedding going on?" I questioned, frowning. Hussain laughed.
"Yeah. But I have to tell you something." Hussain smirked.
"What?"
"Before Shehry interrupted me, I was going to tell you the amount you had to give." Hussain grinned. I rolled my eyes.
"OMG Hussain! Tum bhi na. Bilkul pagal. (You're too much! Crazy.)" I shook my head.
"The amount was you. If they agreed to give you to us, then aal is well." Hussain said, saying 'All is Well' like in '3 Idiots'. I giggled.
"From Shahrukh to Aamir?" I raised an eyebrow.
"Aye!" Hussain said loudly, pointing to me. I looked around us. Luckily there was no one else there.
"Kya bolti tu? (What did you say?)" Hussain asked. I burst out laughing.
"Aye. Kya mein bolu? (What should I say?)" I giggled.
"Sun! (Listen!)"
"Suna! (Listening!)"
"Aati kya Khandala? (Want to come to Khandala?)"
"Kya karu aake mein Khandala? (What am I going to do in Khandala?)"
"Arey ghumenge, phirenge, nachenge, gayenge, aish karenge, aur kya? (Arey, you'll travel, walk, dance, sing, have fun, what else?)" Hussain winked.
"Do you need a match jee?" I joked, as in the song Aamir Khan lit a match onto his tongue.
"Nope. Cause you're hot enough." Hussain whispered, bending to my height. I could feel his cold, minty breath on my face. Before I could pass out, I pushed him away.
"Chee! Hussain!" I laughed. Hussain chuckled and we went inside together. After everyone had entered and Najma and Shehry were seated comfortably next to each other, the fun started. A big bowl of milk was brought over to Shehry and Najma. The milk was decorated with rose petals.
"Okay, Najma, Shehry. Inside this bowl is a ring. Both of you will need to put your hand in and find the ring. Whoever finds it first will be the winner." Sara explained. Ami stood behind me while Khala and Shaista aunty stood behind Hussain. Waqas was standing with Faiza.
"Okay, ready. Set. Go!" Sara said. Shehry and Najma both put their hands inside the bowl. We could see both their hands moving around. Suddenly they both stopped.
"What happend? Did you find it?" I asked. They didn't answer. I could see Shehry smirking at Najma while she blushed.
"Oye! Shehry! Kya hua? (What happend?)" Waqas asked.
"Nothing. Just looking for the ring." Shehry said, and continued to move his hand. Najma slowly brought her hand out of the milk and there we could see the ring in her hand. We all started cheering.
"Yaar! What happened?" Hussain frowned, disappointed. I laughed at him.
"Yall lost, that's what happend." I grinned. Hussain narrowed his eyes at me.
"Watch out jee. Abhi toh party shuru hui hai. (The party has just started.)" Hussain winked. Khala laughed from behind me and pinched Hussain's cheek.
"This one is too funny! When is his wedding?" Khala chuckled. Hussain rubbed his cheek.
"We'll be searching now that Shehryaar has gotten married." Shaista aunty giggled. Hussain smirked at me. I rolled my eyes and looked away. Later the photoshoots started and everyone went to get dinner.