Monte Carlo

⚠️ Contains Mature Content ⚠️

By the time we landed in Nice, the sun shone brightly in the late afternoon sky when we exited the airport. My plan for a nap on the hour-long flight worked well and until we landed, Mitchell hadn't disturbed me once.

"Haven't you slept enough for one day?" Mitchell asked as he wheeled the baggage cart.

"There is no such thing as enough sleep," I replied and he shook his head.

Mitchell believed in taking advantage of the day and making the best of it, he rarely ever went to bed late and seldom awoke after noon. Whereas I loved to sleep in and seeing that my schedule as a resident doctor entailed sleep deprivation, I took advantage of my time off while I could.

"Well, don't sleep on me on the drive to Monte Carlo," Mitchell glanced my way, "It'll only take us around twenty minutes."

After Vatican City, Monaco was the smallest country in the world, so I figured the drive wasn't going to take much time at all. I also knew that Monte Carlo was also a country where the wealthy liked to flaunt and indulge in their lavish tastes and Mitchell told me that his grandfather quite enjoyed visiting the country often.

"Or maybe even less," Mitchell added as we stepped out of the airport and the spring breeze blew my hair backward, "I'm driving."

I'd been in a car with Mitchell many times while he was behind the wheel and other than once, he never made me uncomfortable with speed. Mitchell, however, was a typical boy who loved fast cars. He owned a good few, loved, and cared for his cars as if they were his pets.

Just as I was about to voice my curiosity, we stopped in front of two cars. One was a black Audi and the other was a much brighter and sportier car.

A gentleman stepped out of the Audi and greeted Mitchell and me. They exchanged a few words in French before the man took the baggage cart from Mitchell and wheeled it towards his car. Mitchell placed his hand on the small of my back and led to me the bright yellow, convertible sports car that, by the emblem on the hood, I assumed was a Ferrari.

"You hired a car?" I raised a brow at Mitchell who looked as if he was about to burst with excitement.

"Not quite," Mitchell replied.

"You own this?" I blurted.

"Also, not quite," he drawled, "It's my Gramps', he vacations in Monte Carlo often so when he's not on the yacht, he gets around with this."

The Clarkes certainly take the saying 'boys and their toys' to another level.

His eyes sparkled with excitement and admiration as he glanced at the sports car in front of us, "And isn't she a beaut?"

I looked obscurely at Mitchell and recalled a time I teased him about being unnaturally in love with his Mercedes G-Wagon, "Do you need a minute alone with the mechanical structure made from metal?"

Another man got out from behind the Ferrari's driver's seat and after politely greeting us, he handed the car key to Mitchell. The man walked over to the Audi and got in as Mitchell led me to the open front passenger's side door of the Ferrari.

"Are you sure you don't want to be alone with her?" I raised a brow, "Because I can get in the Audi, no questions asked."

Mitchell appeared amused instead of annoyed, "Don't be jealous, you're still my favorite ride."

I scrunched my nose at his comeback, "Use that line on me again and a mechanical structure is the only thing you'll be riding."

Mitchell gestured to the car, "Can you please just get in?"