Friend or Foe

The dim, purple lighting of the room did nothing to cover the dismay that was written on Mitchell's face. With a deeper frown, my eyes took in the person who approached us with a wide smile and arms stretched out.

"Mitchell fucking Clarke!"

Mitchell forced a smile and leaned in for a man-hug, "Tremaine."

The slightly above average height man with a short buzz cut, dark brown eyes, and a perfectly shaped stubble tapped Mitchell's back and said, "Man, it's been years!"

"The fuck is Tremaine? It's Trey, it can't be that long?" Tremaine asked and just by his slightly slurred words and hyper energy, I could tell he was drunk.

Tremaine was a good-looking guy who appeared to be around Mitchell's age. He was dressed smart-casual in navy dress pants and a short-sleeved button-down shirt with an island print. The bright color of his shirt wasn't what stood out, but the sparkly diamond necklace around his neck, the diamond-faced watch on his wrist, and two thick gold bracelets encrusted with diamonds on the other wrist.

"You went with Mitchell first," Mitchell grinned but I could tell by his curt words, abrupt tone, and stiff posture he wanted to cut this meeting short.

"Forgive me, brother," Trey tapped Mitchell's shoulder again, "It was the shock of seeing you, here of all places."

"Yeah, I bumped into Trey," Mia murmured and I'd almost forgotten that she still stood near us.

"What shit are you on?" Trey asked Mia, "You're a part of my crew."

"But never mind that," Trey's eyes found me and he plastered on a charming smile, took a step forward, and opened his palm to me, "Who might you be?"

Before I could even open my mouth to respond, Mitchell circled a hand around my waist and pulled me to his side, "She's with me."

With me? Is he for real right now? I can think of a dozen better ways to refer to me than the lousy way he just did. Hijo de puta!

"Mila," I smiled and placed my hand in his.

"Mila," Trey repeated and, instead of shaking my hand, he brought it to his lips and placed a kiss over the top of my palm. I was a little taken aback and awkward by his actions.

Mitchell was not pleased, I didn't look his way but his body felt rigid, he tightened his hold on me, and exhaled audibly. I didn't care that he was pissed, he should've found a more creative introduction than making it sound as if I was just one of his side pieces.

"It's a pleasure, sweetheart," Trey smiled and looked up at me from under his lashes, his lips still in line with my hand, "Forgive me if I'm outta line but girl, you're bangin'."

Mitchell cleared his throat loudly with a stern look before he gently grasped my forearm and pulled it out of Trey's grasp, "When I say she's with me, I mean she's my Mila."

"Let's not cross any lines," Mitchell added and even though his tone was calm, it was assertive and left no room for arguments.

Trey put up his hands defensively, "It's all good, G, I didn't mean no disrespect."

"I didn't know she's your lady, last time I saw you, your blonde girl left and you swore off anything serious, so I thought..." Trey said to Mitchell and it was my turn to go still, "Anyway I'm fucking high right now and mumbling shit so you gotta forgive me if I'm wrong."

"Trey, shut the fuck up," Mia rolled her eyes.

"That's the wisest shit you said all night," he sheepishly scratched the back of his head and agreed with Mia before he turned to Mitchell, "We good, bro?"