Nostalgic

Mitchell's POV

I patiently sat in the driver's seat and watched Mila struggle to put on her seatbelt. Her sleek, straight hair fell over her shoulders and hid most of her face. She cursed in Spanish multiple times for failing to buckle the seatbelt. 

"Let me he-"

"No," Mila spat. "I don't need you. I can help myself."

I guess I deserve that, but it still ouch.

As I'd done for about a month now, I worked until late and was the last to leave the office. I'd drowned myself with work, so I didn't have to think and it somewhat worked. However, just as I entered the unground parking lot, I got a phone call from Paula, my secretary, who told me she saw Mila at a bar, and she didn't look very good. 

I didn't ask for any details, I heard Mila's name with the words not good and immediately asked for an address. Thereafter, it wasn't hard to find Mila, she quite literally stood out and drew attention to herself by standing on the bar. She appeared completely wasted and before she embarrassed herself, I needed to stop her. 

After much convincing, Mila was in my car and agreed to let me take her home. I'd seen Mila drunk a good couple of times but not like this. It wasn't just her being drunk but she looked void of any life. It hurt to see her so... broken and I knew I played a huge role in her grief. 

"Joder!" She exasperatedly let go of the seatbelt, sat back against the seat, and blew a strand of hair out of her face. "¡Me rindo!" 

"Can I help now?" 

Mila snapped her head in my direction and narrowed her eyes. I noticed the subtle mascara stains underneath her eyes and how puffy her eyes were which told me she was crying. "I trust your driving skills so I'll do without a seatbelt."

"I won't start this car until you wear it."

Mila shrugged. "Fine, I have no problem walking until I get a cab."

If there's anyone who can test my patience...

Mila was about to open the door, but I quickly reached over and grabbed her. She looked at me offended and then glanced at my hold on her forearm. I stared into her wide, bloodshot eyes and it took everything in me not to kiss away her woes. 

"Must you always be so stubborn?"

"Must we argue about everything?"

"Who started this stupid argument?" 

"You," Mila replied flatly. 

I didn't want to argue anymore. "May I please put on your seatbelt? It's illegal not to wear one."

Mila huffed and pulled a face. "Fine. But only because it's required by the law."

I was relieved and felt our proximity as I drew the belt over her. I paused for a second and our eyes locked. Mila's lips parted and her breath softly hitched. I gulped and had the strongest urge to reach out and touch her. 

"I know I'm pretty, but I'd appreciate it if you'd stop staring," Mila's smartass mouth broke the moment. 

It felt nice to see a part of her Mila-ness still in there. I cleared my throat to prevent myself from laughing and put on her seatbelt. I stared at her once more for a millisecond and before she called me out again, I pulled back and started the car. 

As I drove, I kept glancing at her every chance I got. I didn't know if it was instinctive, but she sat at the edge of her seat, as far away from me as possible, and stared out the window. She hugged herself and caressed her arms.