Before

Chapter contains mature content

Dad was kind enough to offer his private jet which made traveling much more convenient. I was excited to celebrate Mitchell's birthday and planned something special for him. However, I couldn't help but be anxious that Kate was invited.

Kate and I weren't very close but got along well. I liked her and had no issue with her. Under normal circumstances, I would've invited her personally but after I knew about hers and Leo's relationship, I was skeptical. I recalled the last time Mitchell saw Kate and Leo together and grew even more anxious.

Leo said that Kate was just a friend but Mitchell didn't know that. I couldn't understand why he invited her when he knew Leo was going to be there too. Did he suddenly have a change of heart or did he no longer mind his little sister hanging out with Leo?

Whatever it was, I hated that I'd be in fear that Mitchell would lose his cool over a possible reunion between Leo and Kate. The last time Mitchell wanted to beat Leo up and I feared he wouldn't hold back this time.

The airplane was luxurious, comfy, and resembled a five-star suite. It had everything that was needed and more. The lounger seats accommodated up to fifteen people and gave everyone enough space to mingle as well as some privacy if it was needed.

I sat next to Faith who wanted to catch up while Mitchell and Owen did the same. Kate sat beside Leo and the two seemed to be friendly. Kelsey was quiet and didn't speak much. I made a note to speak and offer some kind words of encouragement.

"Earth to Mila." Faith waved her hand in front of my face.

I blinked away my thoughts. "Sorry, what were you saying?"

"Are you alright? You've been lost in thought ever since we got on the plane."

"I'm sorry." I let out an involuntary yawn. "I don't know why I'm suddenly so tired."

"Am I that boring?" Faith teased.

I shook my head. "No. I missed you and our conversations. I haven't been getting a lot of sleep in the last couple of weeks. I think it's starting to catch up."

Faith wriggled her brows and bumped her shoulder against mine. "Mitch keeping you up all night, eh?"

"Mitch wishes. I've been clocking in double the hours at work and taking care of Leo. Sleep is for the weak in my world."

"Taking care of Leo?" Faith frowned. "What's wrong with him?" She glanced at him for a second. "Come to think of it, he does appear a little... pale. Is he alright?"

I hadn't mentioned Leo's condition to Faith or anyone else. Heck, I hadn't had a proper conversation with Faith in weeks. My shoulders sunk and even after all this time it still hurt to say the words out loud.

"Mils?"

I gulped and lowered my gaze. "He has leukemia."

"What?" Faith muttered in barely a whisper. "How... I mean when? I... I'm so sorry Mils."

I shrugged. "He's in the early stages so that's good but it's taking a toll on him."

Faith glanced at Leo sadly. "No one deserves what he's going through but why Leo? He's one of the nicest people I've ever met."

Faith was about to get up but I grabbed her arm. "Don't say anything. He wants to be treated as normal as possible and nothing is worse than having everyone look at him like a pity case. Please pretend I didn't tell you and act normal."

I filled Faith in on the latest in my life but we couldn't complete our conversation when Mitchell showed up.

"I'm sorry to interrupt but can I borrow Mila for a bit?"