Best Friend or Girlfriend?

I hated to admit it but trick or treating was fun. I refused to accept it out loud every time Leo called me out. Whenever he caught me smiling or saw I got excited when we got good candy, I quickly stopped smiling and played indifferent. 

"Just admit it already."

"Admit what?" I spoke a little too loudly.

"Shh," Leo hushed. "We just got Gemma to sleep, don't wake her."

Gemma had the most fun and she made my night even better. She had to have been the most adorable little girl I'd ever met. She was sassy, smart, and had the softest heart. She loved Leo so much that just seeing them together made me feel all warm and fuzzy on the inside. She was also great at negotiating and used her cuteness to her full advantage and scored more candy from people. 

Leo handed me a hot cup of green tea before he took a seat beside me on the sofa. He looked tired, to say the least. I couldn't help but stare at him with a pang in my chest. I tried not to look at him throughout the night but at that moment when it was just the two of us, I assumed I'd never get used to seeing him without hair. 

"Stop staring," Leo mused. "You're making me uneasy and not in a good way."

I cleared my throat and quickly looked away. I took a sip of tea and savored the feel of the warm liquid that went down my throat. "I was just wondering why you aren't having anything."

Leo shook the bottle of water in his hands. "I've got some good ol' aqua." Leo took a large gulp and stared at me curiously. "I know this isn't my best look but stop staring."

I hadn't realized I was but quickly looked away. I searched for my phone but couldn't find it. "Have you seen my phone anywhere?"

"I haven't seen it all night. Check your bag."

I did as he said but it wasn't in there. Leo offered to call my number and all it did was rang until it went to voicemail. I ran my hands through my hair and grew anxious. I assumed I left it at home or it slipped out of my bag in the car and lay in the backseat. 

"Relax. There's nothing you can do about it now. We'll file an APB in the morning."

I knew Mitchell would lose his mind if he tried to get ahold of me and couldn't get through. I chewed on my bottom lip and played back my steps from the moment I left home. 

"Hey, it's just a phone." Leo offered me his phone. "If you want to call Mitch, use my phone. We recently took our relationship to the next level and exchanged numbers."

I rolled my eyes and chortled at Leo's sense of humor before I took his phone. I dialed Mitchell's number but it went straight to voicemail. I was a little disappointed that his phone was dead which meant he most likely didn't even try and call me. 

"I think he's too busy partying." I handed the phone back to Leo. "Thanks. I'll call him tomorrow."

"Why do you look so sad?" Leo asked. "I can call Katie and ask her to give her grouchy brother the phone."

"I'm not sad and you don't have to do that." I half-grinned. "But if you want some privacy to return Kate's call from earlier, I can get going."

"I'll call her tomorrow or she'll call me before I get a chance to."

I took a sip of tea. "Does she call daily?"

Leo nodded. "Just to check in."

"Have you told her about the... chemo?"

Leo shook his head. "What I like about Katie is she doesn't ever remind me I'm sick. She asks the standard 'how are you' and then talks about anything else."