Predicament

I gulped and grabbed the box out of Leo's hand. That was the single thing I urgently searched for but it was my bad luck that Leo got his hands on it before me. I avoided eye contact and hastily shoved the test in my bag before I stood, stumbling in the process. 

Leo got to his feet just as quickly and grabbed me. "Easy, you don't want to fall again."

I shrugged his hold off and kept my eyes fixed to the ground. "I'm fine, thanks for the help. I'll see you around."

"Mila," Leo grabbed my wrist before I could walk off. "Are you... are you pregnant?"

I internally flinched at his words, took in a small breath, put on a pokerface, and squarely looked at him. "Not that it's any of your business but I'm a doctor, you'd find all kinds of medically related things in my bag."

"Speaking of, I think you're coming down with something," I tried to shift the focus to him. "Take a Tylenol or Advil and have an early night. If you don't have any, stop by my place once you change out of your wet clothes."

"Mils," Leo spoke softly and searched my features. "You know you can come to me about anything, right?"

"No, I don't" I pulled my wrist out of his grasp and looked back into his curious yet concerned brown gaze. "Not anymore at least."

Leo opened his mouth to speak but closed it again with a sigh and gave me a defeated look. I didn't want to talk about the pregnancy test that no one was supposed to know about so I paid no attention to Leo's weirdness. "Take care of that fever and don't hesitate to call me if you need anything."

"So, I can come to you for anything but you can't come to me?" 

"I haven't been the one who's pulled away," I flatly said and when Leo had no answer, I walked off without a second glance. 

When I got back into my apartment, I leaned against the door and let out the biggest breath. I felt my heart beat against the leather of my bag that was clutched to my chest. I didn't want to know what went through Leo's head but most of all, I didn't want him to tell Dad about the test. Leo might've changed but I still had faith in him and his discretion when it came to me. 

I shook away my thoughts and decided not to think about the damn test. I needed a shower and some food first, then I'd deal with everything else. I dropped a quick text to Mitchell and informed him I was safely in my apartment and was going to take a shower.

After a much-needed, hot shower I sat crossed-legged on my couch, dressed in cozy pajamas. The television was on but I didn't pay it any attention, it merely filled the silent room. My attention was solely focused on the pregnancy test on the coffee table. 

I decided to get tested after I missed two periods in a row. Considering I was on the pill, I found it a little odd last month when I only spotted for two days but my period never arrived. However, it wasn't uncommon given that I was under a lot of stress in the last month but when my period didn't arrive this month, I grew a little concerned. 

Mitchell and I were always safe and we stopped using protection a week after I went on the pill. However, I also knew that other than abstinence, nothing was one hundred percent to prevent pregnancy. 

I tried to push back the idea of being pregnant for over a week, I thought my period would arrive a little later but the doctor in me knew I only fooled myself. My anxiety was through the roof, I was terrified to take the test. 

Was I ready to have a baby? Hell no. I'd just started my career and had a lot more growing up to do if I were ever to become a mother. Not too long ago, the idea of being in a committed, long-term relationship scared me. I was just getting used to the ropes of sharing my life with someone I loved so there was no way I was ready to take on the responsibility of a child.