I Hate My Birthday

I thought after gifting me a pricey present, Mitchell would've stepped back a little from being extravagant but I was wrong. The five-star restaurant we visited resembled a culturally rich palace in Europe.

The dining hall we walked through to get to a private room screamed refined opulence. We stepped through double doors into the intimate private room which occupied one rounded table that seated only eight people with two waiters, a personal chef, and a harpist. 

The sumptuous décor looked like a dining hall of Old World London and Paris, freshly cut flowers adorned the table set with fine Italian linen that held  Bernardaud china and Sambonet silverware. The rotunda room boasted a hand-painted dome that sat high in the center of the room dimly lit with candles, a harpist played a somber tune in the corner of the room which added to the luxurious, romantic feel. 

"Wow," I breathed as I looked around the room. 

Mitchell tugged on my arm that was looped through his and I felt his gaze on me. "Do you like it?"

"Like?" I looked at him in disbelief. "I love it but this is all too –"

Mitchell placed a finger over my lips and hushed me. "As I said, we're going to celebrate every minute of your birthday and make it memorable."

"Did I just enter a different realm?" Wang broke our moment and spoke loudly. "I feel like I should've worn leggings, gloves, and perhaps a cloak instead of a jacket and pants."

"Yeah, and I should've pulled out my ballroom gown," Faith added with a small laugh. 

"When Mitchy is in love, he goes all out," Kate mused and tapped her brother's shoulder with a grin. "Although this is a whole other level."

"Yeah, pizza would've sufficed," I commented. I was simple, I didn't need fine dining or anything fancy to celebrate and I hoped Kate understood that. 

"Nonsense," Kate waved my statement off. "For making my brother brood less than normal, you deserve the best."

"That's true, he really does brood less these days," Greg remarked. 

Mitchell scowled at everyone. "I should've just planned this with Mila."

"You'll have your time together after dinner," Owen grinned. "For now, let's eat, I'm starving."

Everyone made their way to their seats and Mitchell took a step forward but I held him back, he glanced at me with slightly furrowed brows. I earnestly smiled, leaned forward, and pecked his cheek. "Thank you," I glanced around the room for a moment before I met his gaze again. "For today and... everything."

Mitchell grinned and lovingly caressed my cheekbone with the pad of his thumb. "Anything for you."

I playfully rolled my eyes. "Ugh, all the sugar you consume has made its into your personality and making me sick."

Mitchell chuckled. "Who's being cheesy now?"

"Still you," I poked the dimple on his cheek. 

The smile never left Mitchell's face as he kissed the side of my head before we made our way to join the others. 

Like the gentleman he was, Mitchell pulled out my chair, waited for me to take a seat before he tucked my chair in, removed his blazer, and sat next to me. Just like me, Mitchell was dressed in all black and I couldn't stop myself from checking him out as he mindlessly rolled up his sleeves and rested one hand on the table while the other casually found my thigh under the table. 

To tease him, I glanced at his hand on my thigh and then up at him with a raised brow. Mitchell remained unaffected, he leaned in a little closer. "Is something wrong?"