Mark My Words

⚠️Trigger Warning ⚠️ Chapter contains content that might affect sensitive readers.

I'd endured a lot in my life, but it was nothing but torture in that ice-cold, dark room. I couldn't see a thing – I heard and sometimes felt the rats in the room. My teeth chattered and goosebumps covered my skin. Kelsey took away my coat because I couldn't 'behave' so I only had a thin sweater on.

I wanted to shout but the last time I tried that, the man entered and slapped me across the face. My cheek still stung from the impact, and I was sure it left a mark. I was furious, scared, and helpless. I hoped and prayed that Mitchell was smart enough to have understood my text and found my bracelet. 

After what felt like an eternity, a small beam of light entered the room. I squinted my eyes and watched a tall silhouette enter. Kelsey's hired goon walked in with a light and placed it on the ground. 

He chewed on what looked like jerky and I felt uneasy as he leaned against a wall and watched me. I didn't want to make eye contact and looked away.

"I feel bad hurting a pretty little thing like you," he mused. "Bruises aren't meant for a pretty face like yours."

The words 'pretty little thing' triggered the hell out of me. I was suddenly back in Moab, outside an isolated pub and that disgusting sleazeball was in front of me again. It felt like a long time ago, but the memories flashed before my eyes and made my heart race. 

I felt his eyes on me and it made me sick to my stomach. I curled my fingers inward and dug my nails into my palm. I thought if I didn't look at him, he'd turn his attention elsewhere but I only fooled myself. It was just the two of us in the little room and I was tied to a chair – there was nowhere I could've run. 

If he touches me against my will, I'll be okay. Don't be scared, you're brave and can handle anything. Think happy thoughts and focus on a safe place.

I took deep breaths and mentally got myself ready for the worst. I knew if I fought or feared him, it would've only made me feel worse. I was at the losing end of a bad situation and there was nothing I could've done to save myself. Even if Mitchell caught onto Kelsey, there was no way he would've found me in time. 

I felt his cold, rough hands on my cheeks. His fingers dug into my flesh and forced me to look at him. I kept my gaze low and refused to look at the son of the bitch. I felt my pulse beat in my neck and heard my erratic heartbeat in my ears. 

"Don't be scared, the boss lady told me not to hurt you."

"Then get your hands off me!" I spat.

The man chuckled and his voice made my skin crawl. He inched his face closer. "Feisty, aren't we?" 

His words almost mimicked the last time I was in a similar situation. I wanted to scream and get away. I'd never felt more helpless in my life. A lump grew in my throat – I was terrified but kept myself together. 

"If I can't touch," he abruptly let go of me. "I can look."

Before I was able to fully comprehend his words, he pulled out a pocket knife and ripped through the center of my sweater. The icy air hit my skin and made me shiver. I glanced down at my exposed body and futilely tried to cover myself. 

The outer lace of my bra peeked through the ripped fabric. The man pushed aside the fabric and fully exposed me. Bile raised to my throat and my stomach knotted. I wanted to scream and shout but knew that would've only made him smugger. 

"You're not just a pretty face," his eyes hungrily ran over my exposed skin. "But the full package."

I moved my shoulders back and tried to push him away. I glared. "Your boss lady made it clear not to touch me. If she finds out you disobeyed her, what do you think she'd do to you?"