Always

Mitchell's POV

With one hand in my pocket, I walked over to Kelsey and gestured for her to take a seat before I followed. I slipped my hand out of my pocket and ran it over my face. 

"I don't think you should've kicked your sister out," Kelsey said. 

"I didn't kick her out. It was more like a timeout," I clarified. "I didn't like how rude she was to you."

"She's on edge because she's worried about Mila. Your temper always gets the best of you."

I sighed and couldn't disagree with the latter part of her statement. I was furious on the inside but had to keep calm. 

"Let's not pretend this is the first time she's been rude," I pointed out. "During Thanksgiving, she pretended you weren't even at the table and every time you tried to talk to her, she ignored you."

"It's okay, I don't have any hard feelings," Kelsey smiled. "I don't expect everyone to like me."

"I don't see a reason for her to dislike you."

"Enough about me," Kelsey scooted a little closer and placed her hand on my thigh. "How are you? You were drugged, are you alright? Do you need to see a doctor? Have you eaten much since? And please tell me you've drunk enough water."

I ignored her hand on my thigh and half-grinned. "I'm alright, don't worry."

"No, but –"

I placed my hand over hers and reassured her with my eyes. "I'm fine, Kels. I promise."

Kelsey didn't look convinced. "Why do you worry so much?"

"Can you blame me? I've known you for years and you never admit when you're not fine."

I gently squeezed her hand to reassure her. "I feel a lot better now that you're here. I know it sounds selfish but I'm glad you're here instead of in London."

Kelsey's eyes softened and she smiled. "Of course. My friends needed me, I had to be here. Besides, other than memories, there's nothing left for me in London."

"Friends?" I stared at her seriously. "Do you really consider Mila as your friend?"

Kelsey's smile waned and she tried to slip her hand away, but I kept it in place. I kept my eyes planted on her and watched her unwind her shoulders and gulp. 

Kelsey nervously chuckled. "What do you mean?"

I blinked after a long moment and relaxed my shoulders. "I mean, you've easily become my best friend and after everything I've been through with Mila, I wondered if she's really someone you could call a friend."

Kelsey appeared as if a weight had been lifted off her shoulders. She let out a soft breath and shrugged. "I don't take sides because I believe both of you played your part in ruining what you had."

"But?" I searched her features and did my best to always maintain eye contact. 

"If your faults had to be put on a scale, I think Mila would win."

I sighed and sat back against the sofa. I removed my hand from Kelsey's and raked my fingers through my hair. "My mind has been everywhere, and I can't help but wonder if I'm attracted to trouble. I seem to fall for those who don't love me half as much as I do them."

"Hey now."

I looked Kelsey's way. "Am I wrong? Be honest, do you think Mila loved me a fraction as much as I loved her?"

Kelsey opened her mouth to respond but closed it before words left. She shrugged. "I don't know but she did love you."

"More than Leo?"