A Magical Day

I've always felt indifferent to my birthday, it was just another day and I saw no reason for it to be made a big deal about. When I was little, Mom and my grandparents always organized little parties with my family, spoiled me with lots of gifts, and allowed me to eat as much sugar as I wanted. However, as Mom's Alzheimer's progressed, I no longer anticipated my birthday and was never in the mood to celebrate.

But today, on my twenty-fourth birthday, I felt different for the first time in what felt like forever. I was up bright and early to catch a flight to Orlando to meet Mitchell to celebrate. He suggested I invite whomever I wanted and the only people I could think of were my brothers and Leo. Unfortunately, neither of them was able to make it at such short notice, my brothers had prior plans that couldn't be canceled and Leo said he had work to do and couldn't get away.

I understood their reasons, I was aware of my brother's day plans so I expected them not to accompany me but I had a feeling Leo just made an excuse. I didn't push him or insist he join, I told him I understood and hoped I'd see him soon. I was a little disappointed but was glad that Faith, Owen, and Wang were joining us, while I took a flight from New York, Wang flew from Boston.

A part of me felt guilty for not spending my day with Dad or Mandy but Mitchell and Mandy seemed to develop a new friendship since class day because she knew all about his plans and told Dad. They agreed that since I spent my birthday with them in Spain the previous year, I shouldn't have felt bad and instead did what made me happy. I was pleasantly surprised that Dad insisted I enjoy my day with Mitchell and my friends.

The flight from New York to Orlando was a little over two hours, I landed at MCO at nine am and the twenty minutes in the cab to reach the resort we were to spend the night at went by quickly thanks to a call with my grandparents.

It was my first trip to Disney World, Dad planned a trip years back when I was a lot younger but because of Mom's health, I didn't make it. I visited Disneyland in California with Mitchell and it was great but I was more excited for this trip – or I was just more excited to see Mitchell again.

As I neared the resort, I tried calling Mitchell to let him know that I was on my way but it went straight to voicemail, I guessed there was a network issue or his battery died so I didn't think much of it. Instead, I got through to Faith.

My lips parted and I stared wide-eyed at the resort, it didn't feel like I was in Florida anymore but Hawaii. I was surrounded by palm trees among other rich plantations and luscious lawns. Along the pathway, I was greeted by a white rabbit that hid among the shrubs.

"Trust Mitch to go all out," I muttered under my breath as I made my way through the green oasis that sheltered the front desk, gift shops, and restaurants.

Rattan and cane chairs and sofas with beautiful cherry red cushions and textiles sat on floors of polished flagstone giving me the impression that I was in Hawaii. I looked around the vast lobby and admired every little bit of décor but searched for one particular pair of eyes.

"Mila!" My name was called and I turned around to be greeted by Faith who frantically waved her arm to and fro with a huge smile on her face.

A smile grew on my face as I rushed towards her, I didn't even notice Owen who stood beside Faith with a large rose gold colored, personalized helium balloon with the words Happy Birthday Mila written on it.

"Happy Birthday!" Faith cheered and engulfed me in a tight hug.

"Another year older," Owen teased and handed me the balloon after I pulled away.

I playfully elbowed him, he dramatically winced and half crouched over. "I'm still younger than you."

"Happy Birthday, Mils," Owen laughed and hugged me tightly.