Chapter 29: A Smile That Spoke Words

POV: Cassie

I held my breath as Louis walked into Jays room, I shouldn't be worrying, the nurses said she would forget late December early January, but I can't help but think the worst. Jay was napping, so Louis placed his larger hand over her smaller, weaker hand.

"Mum," he whispered to her as he took a seat I a stool that was beside the bed. Jays eyes blinked open. She squinted until she adjusted to the light.

"Hi mum, it's me Louis," it took Jay awhile to realize who Louis's was which almost have me a heart attack, but soon a large smile was painted on her face.

"Louis.." She murmured as he leaned in and gave her a large hug and a kiss on the cheek. "I missed you so much," she stated.

"I missed you too mum."

Finally all the guilt was free from my soul, and I looked beside me at Beth and she seemed relieved too.

Louis' POV

I couldn't believe I had been away from my Mum for so long, I felt as though I was disrespectful because I left her all alone. And seeing her in the state she was, I could tell she was getting more fragile. Her Alzheimer's wasn't getting better, it was getting worse.

I was left to a room all alone with my mum, we talked for awhile, until a topic we both didn't want to discuss was brought to the table.

"Louis, I'm getting worse by the second," my mum pointed out, as she looked at me with those stunning blue eyes. "My head just gets jumbled up and I don't know what's going on."

"Mum it's okay," I said, intertwining my fingers with hers.

"No Louis, it's not okay! All I ever wanted was to see my kids grow up, and get married and be happy.. But I don't know how much longer I will stay with you."

I took a deep breath in, trying to keep in the tears that were pushing there way out.

"I see Daisy and Phoebe, so young and so naive, not having that smile on their face anymore. And I can't help but think that I won't be there when they get married," she took her other hand, and swept a tear that had fallen down her cheek. "Louis," she whispered sniffling. "If I don't get to see you again, just remember that I love you, I love you very much, and I am so proud of you."

"I love you too," I tried to say, but my words could not be heard. My throat was dry, and my eyes were blurred from the continuous tears. I wasn't only loosing my mom, I was also loosing my best friend.

The car ride home was long and quite, and I couldn't stop my mind from wondering how I could get my my mom to see us happy, to see me happy. Suddenly I felt a hand grip my thigh. I looked down with my teary eyes and saw Cassie's hand, rubbing my thigh back and forth, comforting me. I looked up to her beautiful face and she gave me a reassuring smile. Although she spoke nothing, her smile said words, telling me that everything would be alright. And then pure realization occurred in my mind and in my heart, and for that instance, I had never been so sure of something in my whole life.