Chapter 11: First day of school (Pt.2)

*McKenna's Pov*

I dragged Rue down the hall making our way past other students who were gawking at her. Yes we get it she is the new kids no need to lose your minds over it. I was a bit mad at her because she had taken all the attention of the boys this morning and nearly made us late.

"Why are they all staring it is creeping me out?" She whispers to me.

"Isn't it obvious? You the new kid and they want to see who you are, we don't have new kids often and when they do come it means that someone's parents got demoted."

'Oh' is the only thing she says. I can see she is uncomfortable and I know I can't stay mad at her when she doesn't even know I am mad at her and not even for a good reason.

"Look after a few days the staring will stop they just want to get to know you," I say trying to make her relax. It's not working and even more people are starting to look towards us.

I start a small jog down the hall and she follows suit and soon we are in a full on sprint. I know we are not meant to run in the halls but it was just so much fun. By the time we had got the end of the hall we were laughing so hard that I could not breath.

"Did you see the looks on their faces as we ran? They must have thought we were crazy!" She exclaimed between laughs. All I could was nod as I was still trying to get my breath back.

*Someone blows a whistle*

"Everyone get to class if I catch you skipping or out of class without a good excuse you will get a detention."

I quickly shake my head. "Quick Rue we don't need to get in trouble with Percy." She nodded and I opened the door next to where she was standing.

We walked in and I could smell Emella's perfume, it was a strong tropical scented perfume which if you were not used to it could smell intoxicating. I looked over to Rue and saw her covering her nose while trying to fan the smell away. This made me laugh and she turned to glare at me. I stopped laughing.

"McKenna?! It has been to long!" I smiled.
"Hey Emella how are you?" She nodded her head and looked at me then at Rue.

"New friend I see? Where is she from?" I grimaced we weren't to tell anyone about Rue's situation or any royal business for that matter.

" It's hard to explain.... " I trailed off still not knowing how to tell her without telling her. She nodded telling me that she understood that I couldn't tell her.

"So what is your name darling?" Rue just stood there looking at the floor and had most likely zoned out because she did not hear Emella call her.

*Rue's Pov*

"Hello darling I asked what your name was?!" I came out of the trance I was in and looked up from the floor to be met with McKenna and Emella's stares. I had noticed that Emella looked really young, like my age (18) young.

" Huh...oh my name is Rue," I answered looking back the floor but then back at them.

Emella nodded and McKenna continued to stare at me with...concern? On her face.

"Well it is nice to meet you darling my name is Emella but you already knew that, seeing as you are new I have to give you the school's started pack and at break you will get a tour from one of the students," she explained as I stood in the same spot while she went round to the desk behind her.

"Here you are now I know you are already late to the first lesson of the day but I wouldn't want you to miss it completely so off you go. You too McKenna."

We said our goodbyes to her then left. I don't know why but I was relieved that we had left. I guess I just wasn't used to someone with Emella's personality, it was definitely unique.