Chapter 18: Different(pt.2)

*Rue's Pov*

Last night was as shocking to me as it was for them. They had no idea the things I had went to and I knew they worried for me. I knew that I would not be welcomed back at school, after being gone for a month, but I knew that I would try my best and just get through the rest of the year.

I got up and showered before going to put on an outfit- a grey tank top with a black skirt, fleece and white high knee socks and white flats. Today was going to be a long day.

****
I had decided that I was going to meet the others at school so as not to cause to much fuss over me. And also I just wanted to be by myself.

Stars had come to check up on me multiple times today already and I knew there was no escaping everyone's worry. He seemed so sure the I would disappear if he didn't keep an eye on me. He had also tried to get me to talk but when I didn't he gave up trying.

Anyways I am at school now and I have gotten weird looks from everyone I see. They seem to recognize me but see that I look different. I chose this outfit so that it would cover up my cuts and scars I didn't need to be looked out for more than one reason.

"Rue you made it," squealed McKenna. I turned away from my pocket to look at her. I had forgotten how to socialize with people and so all I did was stare at her before turning back to my locker.

'Oh' is all she said before I headed her footsteps walk away from me. I knew she felt offended but I couldn't do anything about that. She would get over it and move on.

I gathered my books out them in my bag and began walking to class. I had to walk past loads of people and I heightened my senses so that I could hear them.

'isn't that the new girl from a month ago. She went missing didn't she?'

'look at how pale she I'd

'She is such a loner'

'I wonder what happened to her'

But there part that surprised me the most was the conversation that my friends were having.

"What has happened to her? She didn't even say hi to me?"
" McKenna leave her alone she has been through hard times we can't do anything but be there for her. "
"Fined but I won't keep trying to talk to her if she is going to ignore me"

I didn't even know what to think of this conversation so I turned !y senses off and continued on my way to class.

****

*A week later*

*McKenna's Pov*

It has been a week since she came back and I only see her in classes never at lunch or anywhere else. We have tried to find her so we can talk but we never see her around. But I am determined to get something out of her even if I have to drag her to a closet to talk.

We have just finished history and Rue is about to get up to leave class. I rush over to her and stop her just as she gets up.

"Hey McKenna. What's up?"

" Don't what's up me. You have been hiding away from everyone this past week why is that? "

"Look it is complicated, I can't tell you right now,"

"No now Rue, I don't feel like chasing after you just to make sure you're alright. I am done with that."

"Fine," she says reluctantly knowing I won't stop until she tells me. She looks around the classroom and seeing that no one is there she sighs and pays the seat right next to me.

****

"And so my conscience came back and helped me and I got away from them and arrived here just last night," she finished seeming out of breath, and also tired.

I couldn't believe it my friend the out going, crazy, goofy girl who had left me at the beginning of last month was now so changed it was scary.

I knew that if she made her way back to us she would be different but this...this was not at all what I expected.

"I am soo sorry Rue, I didn't mean to be so mean to you at the beginning of the week or the day before I just wanted to make sure you were ok."

"I didn't mean to be so forceful..."

" look it is fine I forgive you but I don't want your pity. "

I nod my head and began to fidget with the hem of my skirt.

"Well we should get to class don't want to-"

"To be late I know let's go." I look up at her and see a smile on the tip of her lol but she is trying to hide it.

We have fun next up so we walk together and we actually talk to each other. I guess after opening up to me about what has happened to her she opened back to me. I was happy that we had made even the smallest of progress.

We got to gym and walked to the changing rooms and some how I had got Rue to smile! She was chatting away about something or anything when the she-devil herself decided to show up. I frowned. I had just gotten her to smile.

"Hey Crya," she greeted politely. Crya scoffs.

"Please I know you don't like me and let me just tell you the feeling is mutual, I only came up here to warn you...."

" to stay away from Luno that's fine I haven't seen him all week and I don't plan on seeing him any time soon. " she finishes for her. Crya looks confused.

"Wait so you won't want to hang out with Luno?" She shook her head as if she is wasting her time (which she is).

"So is he like to hot to you anymore now that you haven't seen him for a month or is it that he is just ugly?"

"For Esmondia's sake Crya I never liked Luno and I am not about to, he is not ugly but I don't think he is cute or hot as you say, now if you would excuse me I have to go get changed." She barged past her and I follow while putting the 'L' over my forehead to show her lose.

When I walk into the changing room I see off is mainly empty apart from a few bunkers, and Rue getting changed as quickly as possible. But just as she is about to slip on her shirt it falls and she goes to pick it up. I get a good look at her back and see scars and bruises, most likely from the torture she put up with.

"McKenna! Are you going to just stand there or get dressed?" I snap out of my daze to see her fully dressed and waiting .

I nod and make my way over so I can change "Yeah I will be a second you can go I will catch you up later. "

She nods back and walks out. I sigh, I thought we would be over this awkward barrier but I guess not.

I also quickly get changed and walk out of the changing rooms. As I walked past some kids I heard them gossiping about Rue. The school gossip had gone from being all about the school ball to how weird and lonely Rue was. She was her one day gone the next and missing for a while month and no one has gotten to know her that well to actually judge her. But all they did was listen to the gossip and judge from afar.

This made me mad but I didn't say anything instead I made my way to Griffin and Luno because Rue had also sat next to them.

"Hey guys how were your first few lessons?"

" good thanks, " they replied in unison.

"So Rue you decided to hang out with the boys again did you?"

"Not really I was seating by myself minding my own business when they came up to me and tried to talk to me about stuff, "

'Oh ' is all I got and a crown from the boys. I guess we were going to need more than a smile to get our old Rue back and I knew we were going to try our hardest to do so. And if the boys weren't then I was....