Ulterior Motive (2): A Dinner Date With Luthor & Wayne

I have no idea what sort of witchcraft has befallen and is being used against me, but I sure as hell was going to get Zatanna to do a more than thorough investigation into the matter. For the situation at hand had gotten waaaaay too out of control to not be a case of some deranged psychopath messing with me for their amusement.

You've read the title of the chapter, so you obviously know what's going down.

I, Kara Zor-El, Kara Kent, my undercover alias for being supergirl, was currently sitting down in a high-end restaurant squished between Lex Luthor, No. 1 Metropolis Super Villain, and Bruce Wayne, Multi-Billionaire CEO of Wayne Enterprise and, as I learned literally 30 seconds ago, was also BAT-FUCKING-MAN of all people!?

This sounded like a set-up for a way more interesting romance drama, if you ask me.

"Are you okay, Miss Kent? You've hardly touched your food?" Lex leans over to me and asks with pure innocent (sounding!) concern.

"And here I thought country girls were known to have an appetite," Bruce smugly responds as he lifts a bottle of clear dark wine to his lips from a comically big wine glass.

I found myself fisting my hand into a ball under the table from Bruce's smart remark.

"Oh come now, Bruce. We both now Miss Kent comes from very far away, so she might just not be used to...our type of food yet."

SMACK!

"I need to go to the bathroom," I curtly say then, smacking both my palms onto the table with a little more force than I intended and damn near flew to the bathroom to get away from whatever trainwreck was about to ensue if I stayed there any longer.

"Fuck me," I cry into my reflection of the glass bathroom mirror. Allowing myself the luxury of using that profane language out loud for the first time freely.

And of course, the bathroom to this grandiose place was bigger than the size of Kal's entire apartment.

It, the bathroom, has its own choufer and waiting staff to collect your things and guide you to where the bathrooms stalls were just so you don't get lost along the way.

I wonder if this is what life would be like if I ended up dating Lex?

"Whoa, whoa, whoa," I told the mirrored reflection of myself, throwing in exaggerated hand gestures for good measure.

I grab my mouth shut and internally reflect on the words I'd just thought.

My surprise didn't come from the fact that I thought about it, I think about messed up stuff all the time, my worry is that I wasn't surprised by me thinking it and coming to accept and find comfort in the thought.

"But why Lex? Of all people??" I questioned myself out loud, the reflection of my confused face being the only thing staring back at me.

"He's...reliable, surprisingly. He's safe. Secure. Richer than modern royalty..." I pinch the bridge of my nose as I tried to concentrate on my sporadic thoughts while still paying attention to the asinine words I was saying.

"...He's surprisingly sweet, kinds, and gentle..." I admitted to myself in a gentle whisper.

But surprisingly of all...why was Dick's image the one that came to mind when I said these last words?

Why was he the one, with his shiny raven black hair, I envisioned sitting next to me where Bruce was instead?

"Why couldn't he be the one to ask me out?" I breathe out in a defeated sigh.