Pity Date (Part 2)

It was as if lightning struck down on us. Everyone cracked their necks to stare at me.

Even I was caught unaware by my question. DID I ACTUALLY LITERALLY JUST ASK THAT!?!?

"Why do you want to know?" She replied with a deadly chill to her voice.

I shrugged while looking down at my nearly empty cup of tea. "I don know. You guys are always together. It's kinda weird seeing you two apart..."

Her demeanor calmed a bit after my words but she was still very clearly on high alert.

"Yes, we rarely are apart... except for that day when Connor took your picture!" She finished with gusto.

I see M'gann facepalm herself.

"Ya, what's up with that?" I replied back in the same bored tone.

Everybody looked on at us in awe. I remained calm but I could see Artemis was struggling with doing the same.

I wasn't an idiot. I could tell things could go really bad on a hairline trigger and I wasn't about to mess my just now new budding friendship with a really cool girl, person, and superhero.

"He'd told me he was out for a guys night with Dick and Connor. I already trust him completely but he always promised never to mess with any girls, that, as he says, what Dick job/expertise."

"Hey!" Dick whined.

"I was not invited to guys night?" Kaldur chimes in.

"Me neither!" Jimmy interjects.

"You," Dick says while pointing to Kaldur, "never go to these things even if we invite you, and you," he says next while pointing to Jimmy, "we don't know and or like you."

"He's joking," I quickly lean over to reassure Jimmy, gently patting him on the shoulder.

"Oh, I know!" Jimmy says cheerfully, oblivious to the vicious undertones Dick had been constantly hurtling his way.

"So imagine my surprise-!" Artemis cuts back in, "when I get a text from the boy blunder over there-" she says pointing to Connor, "showing me you and my future husband in a very compromising position!!!"

"But-" I try to say.

"YOU DON'T HAVE TO SAY ANYTHING!" Artemis screeches back, shocking me into silence. "I know you're innocent!"

That catches me even more off guard.

"You do?" I say.

"You do!?" Connor finally spoke.

"Hey! You're not supposed to speak today!" I fire back at him.

Artemis slowly turns her head to Connor with the aura of death itself...

"I'm mad at YOU!!!" She yells at Connor. "AND YOU!" She spits at Dick.

"Me!?" Connor says.

"ME!?!?" Dick yells back. "What the fuck did I do!?!?"

Artemis squinted her eyes at both of them. The very magnitude of her aura encompasses the whole table with all of us poor souls sitting at it.

"I'm mad at you Dick Grayson for pairing the two of them in the first place while FULL WELL KNOWING that these two bastards downright HATE the other person's existence!" She starts. "And I'm mad at YOU Connor Kent for being so petty shallow and vein to post that picture TO EVERYONE ONE!!! KNOWING what damage that would have to Kara, Wally, and even my reputation!!!" She cried finally.

"Well, he obviously didn't send it to everyone cause I didn't see it..." Jimmy mumbled but was too afraid to speak up for fear of incurring Artemis's wrath.

"Do you have any idea what it feels like to have everyone side-eye you thinking your an idiot for sticking with someone who's clearly cheating on you when YOU KNOW FULL WELL that they aren't!?!?"

Her chest was heaving up and down for air, her eyes wild and dangerous. Everyone meekly looks around, anywhere but at Artemis' eyes.

"Artemis? Please calm down..." M'gann finally said to her calmly while standing up. "Everything will be okay...we can solve this."

I could see Artemis clearly struggling to gain her composure but it was evidently a losing battle.

"I can help you if you let me" M'gann then whispers, coming up to stand next to her and calmly placing a hand on her shoulder.

All Artemis could do was nod and then M'gann placed both her hand on Artemis' head and she began to telepathically soothe her. It was a very touching moment, like one that could only be shared between two people who have undergone several trails and established a very close sisterly bond.

I feel a slight pang of pain. I wish I could be apart of that...or at least share it with someone...

I unconsciously side-eyed Dick, wondering if the person I could share it with could one day possibly be him?

Imagine my surprise when I find him quite openly looking at me intently, as if trying to predict my next move. To try and distract me from his inquisitive gaze I turn my focus and attention back to Artemis and I repress a sigh of relief when he followed suit and did the same.

I could see her heart rate drop and her blood pressure reduce.

It was then I released the breath I hadn't even known I was holding. Things were finally starting to de-escalate and the unknown chill of terror that I'd been suppressing in my heart finally melted away.

She didn't hate me. Artemis didn't hate me...The overbearing sense of relief almost had me tipping forward. But as one emotion faded and left, another one quickly took its place...

There was something else though that was nagging at the back of my head, something I shouldn't say but I knew I had to if I wanted a clear and clean conscience...

'Uhm... Artemis?" I meekly try to say.

"AND WHAT'S WORSE IS THAT HE'S NOT EVEN SORRY!!!" She further yells in Connor's face.

Connor just sat there, arms folded looking nonchalant about the whole thing. The guy actually had the audacity to have a scowl on his face, as if unpleased by the whole turn of events. I tried not to focus on him as I had my own demons I needed to face right now.

"ARTEMIS!!!" I call out.

Just then I pushed back my seat, shot up and clasped a hold on Artemis' hands.

Everyone looked at me again, wondering what hell I was about to release this time.

Kaldur was buttering a baguette while cautiously eyeing us. Jimmy was obliviously blowing on his scolding hot tea and Dick was looking directly at me as he chugged his straight black coffee.

"I think I might be falling for Wally," I say.

✽🌸✽🌸✽🌸✽🌸✽🌸✽

~Please Don't Forget to Vote and Comment!~

~The 3rd And Last Part Comes Out Tomorrow!~