Ulterior Motive (3): Dance With Me?

Busted.

Wholly and unequivocally.

The evidence of my wrongdoing lay before me and I was rendered speechless in the face of the undeniable evidence that was presented.

My mouth hung a gap as Dick just silently stared back at me as I struggle to find the words.
After several minutes of speechless stuttering, I just closed my mouth and look back up at him, unable to even come up with a response.

"Go change. We'll talk more about this later," he simply said as he turned his back to me so I could have more privacy as I entered the stall to change.

Which just made the situation 10 times worse.

Dick was a loud fellow, a dramatic individual.

So him being quiet, calm, and collected was beyond terrifying and threw me out of a loop, as people say.

I hear what sounded like a 'pfft!' come from behind the stall where Dick was. But the sound quickly dissipated as soon as came out.

Too freaked out by everything I ignore all and whatever that was and focused on just wearing the dang dress I was handed and nothing else.

The long night blue dress was made of a truly luxurious fabric.

The dress flowed down onto my body in one swift smooth wave and it clung to all the areas it needed to.

The gold accent of the dress highlighted the overall silhouette of the dress and gave my skin a warm healthy glow.

I didn't need to look in a mirror to know I was stunning.

But I still wanted to look.

Opening the stall in a grand ceremonious fashion, I popped out with the vivid neon blue colour of the dress overtaking every reflective surface of the room.

"Whoooooaaaaa-oof!"

Dick's gawking was cut short as I threw the clothes I'd just taken off in his face.

Now don't get me wrong, I LOVED when Dick stared at me. But the way he did so now made unwanted butterflies begin to take off in my stomach and I do not WANT and or NEED them right now.

Especially not with Lex hanging around. That would just seem unfair to him.

My thoughts were cut off short when Dick pulled off the clothes that I threw at him from his face and he had an annoyed look on.

Okay, something was up with him and I need to get to the bottom of what-

My thoughts were cut off again when my clothes were tossed into a duffle bag Dick had hidden off to the side of the bathroom that I'd just taken notice of, and then carried the duffle bag and stuffed it into an inconspicuous looking air duct overhead.

Without pausing to take a breath, he turns around and grabs my hand.

"Target is on the dance floor. They are a secret government double agent. Working for whom? We don't know yet. They did a trade-off and have an envelope in their front jacket pocket and we need to extra it and figure out what information they received. Did you get all that?"

"Only 65%."

"Good enough."

Dick bursts out of the bathroom stall, to the confusion of the attendants standing guard outside, and twirls me onto the dance floor with a little too much enthusiasm.

"Calm down casanova, otherwise you'll make me dizzy."

"Let's just say I'm tryna get some unwanted things outta your head."

I gave him a look. But he soon begins to twirl me around the dancefloor repeatedly.

I'd been tucked away to the side of the room all evening with Lex and Bruce-er-Batman. So I hadn't been aware of just how grand of a floor we were on. Not that I blamed them. Did you see the atrocious casual clothes I had on? Luthor was doing me a favour by keeping me in hiding and away from sight. That was so sweet of him!

Dick jerks me around again and by body slams into him and our faces come flush up against each other. As if he was trying to force my attention on him and only him through telepathy or some shit.

I glare up at him and he only over down at me a cocky smile, which I roll my eyes out. It's like he always knows when my mind begins to wonder and he knows just exactly how to bring me back down to earth.

The outer edge of the room was lined with tables covered in what looked to be the finest and whitest of linens. The ceiling, floor, and entrances were all lined with gold railings in alternative wavy floral designs matching those painted onto the floor, walls, and ceiling as well.

A great big circle, indicating the extent of the dance floor, was packed with what seemed to be 30-50 people. Although you could still twirl your partner around without having to bump into anyone. That's how big the floor was.

Astounding.

After we'd gotten comfortable in our dance routine and we'd sufficiently blended into the dancing crowd, I leaned my head forward and whispered into Dick's ear.

"Who am I looking for?"

I feel his body repress a shiver. But he gulps and responds.

"Tall 6 foot 2 man with a slight potbelly. Fairly young facial features but with a distinct crinkle in his eyes. He should be dancing with a male partner right...now!"

The dancefloor exchanged partners and Dick flings me out of his arms and into that of a Russian woman. The woman smiles down nicely at me and proceeds to blow my mind with dance moves I've never seen before.

Delighted by her company but not wanting to get distracted, I trained my gaze on a man two dancing couples away from me to my left that fit Dick's description to a tee.

We hadn't changed dance partners yet so I was sure it was him because he was smiling down at a slim male who he was currently dancing with.

I look back out onto the dancefloor to see if I could find any traces of Dick, probably waltzing with a redhead, but he was nowhere in sight.

I'd complain about him leaving me to deal with the grunt work but this was highly odd of him. But knowing him as well as I do, he was probably handling some other major task involving this impromptu mission. And the success of everything required me not to mess up on my part.

No pressure or anything.

Enjoying the company of the Russian woman and deep down not wanting it to end, and manoeuvre her closer to my target and timed the rhythm of the beat.

If my calculation were right then in 4...3...2...1...

SWITCH!

The music changed and the switching of partners was signalled.

I waved and whispered a meek goodbye to the nice Russian lady and felt something round and squishy be pressed against my flat tummy.

I force on my most award-winning smile and look up at the man I was supposed to pickpocket in plain view of everyone watching before the next slow song came on.

Lovely.....