The Gang

I stood there all sheepish and shy as hell as Dick leads everyone into the club. The temperature inside was really low but people still managed to sweat, how much energy does one exert from dancing?

Dick leads the gang to a private booth at the far left corner, it was labeled VIP SECTION: VIP'S ONLY.

"Waw, Dick, you managed to score VIP?" either Zatanna or Barbara said. Those two girls intimidated me the most. Artemis was cool as she clung to Wally's shoulder, you could tell those two were in a relationship, and a pretty happy and stable one if I might add.

Although Zatanna and Barbara seemed to magical stand on either sides of Dick, Conner and Megan stood on opposite sides of the group of each other while Kal and I stood awkwardly at the back of everyone.

We reach our booth section, there were three couches, one in the middle and two on opposites sides facing each other. Kal, Megan, I, Wally and Artemis sat in the middle one, Zatanna, Dick and Barbara sat on the one to the right, and Conner sat alone on the one to the left.

I couldn't tell if it was only me but there was a heavy underlining awkwardness in the air. Although Dick and the two girls hanging off his shoulders didn't seem to notice, they begun talking animatedly and were even laughing.

Some host, I think to myself.

I look around to the remaining 6 people, Megan and Conner didn't look like they'd speak anytime soon. While Artemis looked slightly pissed at me sitting next to Wally but tries to distract him.

"How are you enjoying your time on earth?" I hear the thick Atlantian accent ask me.

I look up and see Kal meekly smiling down at me.

"Oh!" he caught me off guard. "It is as good as can be expected," I flash my teeth at him.

"I can relate to how hard it may be to adjust to another culture with greatly different customs" he says in a peaceful tone.

I smile at him, "Thank you." I catch a peek of his gills peeking out from above his jacket.

"Uhm, you might wanna pull up your jacket" I say, making an indication to my neck so he'd understand.

He looked down, "It's okay, no one will be able to see it in this lighting plus I'm trying to absorb the cold air"

I continue to stare at it. "Can I touch it?" I ask cautiously.

"Kara!" Megan scolded me from his other side.

"What!? We didn't have these things on Krypton plus I've never actually seen a gill before, even on a fish, and now I see one up close on a human. C'mon you gotta let me touch it"

Kal shrugged and nodded his head.

I reach out my finger and touch it, it was wet and squishy. I instantly retreat back my hand in shock and the three of us laugh.

"Whoa, be careful Kara." Dick says from across the booth. "We should warn you that Kal's heart belongs to another"

"Dick!" Artemis swats his legs lightening fast.

"What? I'm just forewarning her" Dick says with a mild tinge of annoyance.

"It's okay Artemis, I take no offense from Dick's words" Kal says ever so calmly.

"Waw, you are on some next level Buddhist monk shit" I comment while a waitress walks over and places free drinks on the table. Everyone laughs at what I said and we all reach for a drink. I lift the smoking pink liquid close to my lips and sniff delicately.

"I have a question," I heard Artemis say, she was looking directly at me. "Can Kryptonians get drunk?" and she sips her drink still looking at me with those devil hawk eyes.

"Ooooooo, good question babe!" Wally says, wrapping his arm around her. "Conner doesn't drink and we'd definitely love to know, seeing as asking Superman is out of the question."

I lower the drink away from my lips, "I have no idea either," I say honestly. Everyone gives me a funny look, "This is the first time I've made contact with alcohol."

"Okay then, let's get that away from you" Dick leaps up, leaving Zatanna and Barbara no time to reach and fall in his no vacant space, he instantly snatches the drink from me.

"Agreed." Kal voices.

"What? Why!" I whine.

"Yeah why?" Wally also whines with me.

"Let's just say we're not in the mood to clean up any mess you might make" Conner says so harshly I almost run from the spot.

"Don't mind him, he naturally sounds like that" Wally leans over and whispers to me. To which Artemis retaliates and yanks him back by his ear.

"Let's play a game so we can all know each other better" Zatanna chimes in.

I was actually shocked to hear her speak, honestly I began to assume Zatanna and Barbara were just ornaments hanging off Dick.

"What game did you have in mind?" Megan asked sweetly.

She smiled devilishly. "Let's play 'Never have I ever'."W;&