Staying Strong (Final Part)

The drive back to Auradon Prep seemed to go on forever, Evie couldn't even hardly think straight as she drove back. The image of Mal's Jeep and her body under that sheet was forever trapped in her mind.

As she walked into the school she felt her hot tears just rolling down her cheeks like an endless waterfall. When she entered her dorm, she took one look at Mal's side of the dorm and just broke down crying. She slid down the wall sobbing into her hands, the thought of living without Mal was just too hard for her to even think about. Why did Mal have to go? She never deserved anything like that to happen to her. So why? That was the one question that just wouldn't leave her alone.

Evie stayed there on the floor, against the wall, all night. She didn't know if she would ever be able to sleep again, she didn't know if she would ever be able to do anything without Mal. How was she supposed to go on with her life when Mal wasn't there, and never coming back?

***

The next morning at breakfast, Jay and Carlos were wondering where Mal and Evie were, as neither of them had shown up in the cafeteria. So the two boys went up to the girls dorm to find out what they were up to.

Carlos knocked on the door, but neither of them answered. But Carlos heard what sounded like crying from inside, he looked over at Jay, silently asking him if he heard what he did. Jay nodded at him as he went to knock on the door next. "Mal? Evie? It's Jay and Carlos, we're coming in." He said before slowly turning the knob as he and Carlos then entered the room.

When they walked in, they saw Evie laying on Mal's bed hugging one of Mal's pillows, with her back facing them. "Evie? What's wrong? Where's Mal?" Carlos softly asked her as he approached her, seeing no sign of Mal anywhere in the dorm.

Evie turned towards the boys with tears still streaming down her face. "She..she's..gone." She said through her tears.

"Gone where? Did you two have a fight or something?" Jay asked.

Evie shook her head, closing her eyes as even more tears fell. "No. Worse. Mal is..is..she's dead." She was barely to get out.

Jay and Carlos froze at those words. That was the last thing they ever expected to come from her. They were in so much shock, neither of them said a single word. Their eyes just slowly averted to the floor. "How? How could this happen?" Carlos asked.

"She was in an accident, and she didn't make it." She told them. Tears soon began to fall from Carlos' eyes as well as he got on the bed next to Evie and hugged her.

Jay shook his head, not wanting to believe what he had just been told. "No. That can't have happened. You have to be lying."

"I really wish I was, Jay." Evie told him.

Jay's eyes welled up with his own tears as he went to punch the wall. He couldn't believe that one of his best friend's his little sister, was really gone. He couldn't be in the girls dorm anymore, he couldn't handle seeing all of Mal's things, knowing that she wasn't coming back. He tried leaving the school to go out to the tourney field to let out some of his anger and grief, but he was stopped by Fairy Godmother.

"Oh Jay! There you are! I was wondering where you and the rest of the vk's were, I haven't seen you guys all morning and you've already missed your first period." She said to him.

"I'm sorry, FG. But me and the others are just going through something right now, and we'd really like to be alone for a while." Jay replied as he tried to leave again.

"Hold on just a minute, I'm not just going to let you go without finding out what's going on." Fairy Godmother stopped him again.

Jay knew he wouldn't be going anywhere until he gave the headmistress an answer. "Fine! If you must know, Mal was in an accident last night and she didn't.....make it." He said before he began crying in front of her.