No More Regrets (Part 4)

Evie watched one of the nurses finish up feeding Mal via her new feeding tube. The nurse politely gave Evie a small smile as she got ready to walk back out into the hallway. "Hey," Evie quickly stopped the nurse from leaving right away. "I have a question. I'm assuming since you're a nurse and all that you've been around several people in comas, did they have specific things that woke them up that might possibly give me an idea as to how I can wake Mal up?"

The nurse gave Evie a kind smile as she could understand how difficult it must be for her to go through something like this especially when she just wanted to see her be okay. "Listen Evie, I know hard this all is for you, it's hard for everybody when see someone they love go through this." She told the worried teen. "But Evie, there's never been something that woke someone up from a coma like this. It has to happen naturally, and while it may take some time she needs to wake up on her own."

Evie looked over at Mal still just lying on the bed before back at the nurse. "What about magic? Has anyone ever tried that?"

"Evie, as much as you may want Mal to wake up magic is definitely not the answer here. That could seriously damage her brain more than it could already be after her accident." The nurse replied as she laid her hand over Evie's shoulder. "This might not necessarily help her wake up any sooner, but maybe what you could do is try maybe reading her her favorite book, watch your favorite movie together, you could even sing her favorite song, even try having a conversation with her as if she's responding."

Evie nodded her head in response. "Yeah, I'll try those. Thank you."

"No problem, I believe she'll wake up on her own. You should too." With one last smile from her, she squeezed Evie's shoulder reassuringly before walking out into the hallway.

Evie walked back over to the chair beside Mal's bed as she grabbed her hand and held onto it tightly as she brought it up to her lips so she could kiss it gently before continuing to rub it softly. "I'm here M, I'm here. I'm still not leaving, and I'm not letting go either." She told her still staring at her unconscious best friend.

After awhile of sitting there just staring right at Mal not saying anything she heard footsteps come into the room. She turned around in her seat still holding onto Mal's hand as she saw it was Henry who had returned like he had said he would. "Hey, I'm back." He told her as he fully approached her as he leaned down to kiss her.

"Hey babe." She whispered once he leaned back up.

"I have something I should probably tell you."

"And what's that?" She asked him.

"How could you not tell us that Mal was in an accident?" Jay came into the room with Carlos right behind him and asked in a hurt voice. He didn't understand after almost a whole day of Mal apparently being in the hospital Evie somehow never thought to call him or Carlos or anybody that Mal had been hurt.

"Jay, I was going to tell you and Carlos. But I've just really been struggling to process everything and I was not ready to talk to anyone about the incident because I could barely say it to myself let alone anyone else." She tried telling him.

"But we're her friends too and we care about her just as much as you do." Carlos spoke up as he slowly began to approach Mal. "Did they put her in a coma again?" He thought that maybe they did as she seemed to be in the same state as her last accident.

"Not exactly." She said as her voice cracked which she tried her best to hide but so clearly failed.

"What do you mean?" Jay asked her as he wasn't sure how he felt about the way her voice sounded when she said those words.

"The doctor didn't put her in a coma, she's in a coma but it's one that her body put her in. So this time there's no way for us to know when she'll wake up." Evie did her best to explain to the boys.