Trauma

Mal stared at the wall in front of her as she sat on her bed clutching her knees against her chest. It was 3:24 a.m. but she just couldn't get to sleep.
It had been happening for several weeks and because of it Mal had hardly been getting any sleep.

Every night the nightmares seemed to get worse. Mal would see nothing but visions of her mother taking all her anger and frustration out on her. Mal would keep screaming and begging for her to stop, but they only went unheard.

Mal was tired, she could feel it, but she didn't want to see any more. She didn't want to close her eyes only to be tortured by those visions. And so she continued to stay up and just stare at her wall hoping she didn't have to see anything else.

***

Evie was also struggling to get to sleep that night, it wasn't because of nightmares or anything else. She wasn't sure what it was that was keeping her up but she couldn't just lay there staring up at her ceiling.

She pushed back her blankets and slowly got out of her bed before stepping out of her room and down the hall.

Evie wasn't sure what it was about Mal's room, but she could feel something within her urging her to go inside. She quietly sighed to herself before reaching out her hand towards the know and slowly twisted it to open the door.

As soon as she looked inside, Evie immediately caught sight of Mal sitting up on her bed slowly rocking herself back and forth holding her knees up to her chest while just staring blankly at the wall.

"M?" She whispered softly but Mal didn't seem to react in any way as if she had heard her voice. "M, you okay?"

Mal slowly turned her head over to where Evie was standing and stared at her for a few seconds before she rushed over to her and wrapped her arms tightly around her.

Evie brought her arms around Mal as well and just held her close even though she still didn't understand if there was something wrong with her or not. After a few moments of of just standing there holding onto Mal, Evie began to slowly lead them over to Mal's bed where they could sit down.

Mal refused to let go of her and rested her head against Evie's chest and staying close against her.
Evie quietly sighed and began to slowly run her fingers through Mal's soft purple hair.

"M, do you wanna talk about anything?" She questioned quietly.

Mal glanced down quickly but stayed in her position of being cuddled up against Evie. "I, um, I can't sleep." She admitted.

"You can't? How come?" Evie asked wanting to know what was causing her little sister to lose sleep.

"My mom."

Evie looked down at Mal who was still resting against her as she hugged her a little tighter. "Mal its ok, we've talked about this before. Your mom is a lizard and she can't hurt you anymore."

"I know."

Evie furrowed her brow at her confusedly. "Then why can't you sleep m."

"Because of all the flashbacks. Its like I'm there again Evie and its scary." Mal admitted to her. "I don't wanna see it again."

"Oh M, its ok." Evie rubbed her back and rocked her back and forth a little feeling horrible for her little sister.

Mal slowly nodded her head and continued to lay against her. "Can you, um, can you stay with me?"

Evie nodded and smiled a little. "Of course, M."

Mal then laid down with her and cuddled up beside her as she closed her eyes and fell asleep.

Evie smiled and kept her close beside her as she watched her sleep for a little while to try and make sure she was alright before closing her eyes and falling asleep as well.

***

The next morning came and as Evie woke up she found herself still in Mal's bed and Mal still cuddled up against her. She found herself smiling while still watching her before Mal opened her green eyes and looked up at her.

"Morning, M."

"Morning, E." Mal replied as she slowly sat up.

"So were you able to sleep good this time?" Evie asked her sitting up as well.

Mal nodded with a small smile appearing on her face. "Yeah, thanks Evie." She told her as she hugged her big sister who hugged her back.

"Of course, M. Hopefully you won't have anymore problems sleeping from now on."

Mal nodded again as she then got up from her bed. "So what's for breakfast?"

Evie laughed a little before going downstairs with her. She was just happy that she could help her little sister feel better and be able to sleep better as well.

A/N: Yes I'm aware that its been a little while lol but after I was unable to make the wattys shortlist again this year I thought I would just give you all a short little one shot that I came up with lol. Anyway please let me know what you thought of this and if you have any requests for another one shot or short story please let me know down in the comments! Until the next chapter!!!