the chupacabra and the angel

A/N: god I fuckin' hate Merle, but y'all knew that already. Oh and in case no ones noticed I added my one daryl headcanon into this fic that Daryl is autistic, in the show he just seems to be very neurodivergent and me being autistic myself, I fuck with it. Also tw, Merle says some nasty words. As he tends to do.

As Jaxx hung clothes out on the line with Carol, he still had the rose tucked behind his ear. As he leaned down to pick up and ring out a pair of his own dinosaur boxers, Carol broke the silence.

"I saw those flowers in a bottle next to my tent... Did you put them there?" She asked, hanging up one of Carl's shirts. "No not me, Daryl did.. They're Cherokee roses, my favorite flower..." Jaxx said, hanging up his boxers. "And why did he put them with me?" She asked curiously.

"Well, we found them outside of that house. And.. Surprisingly Daryl told me the story of their symbolism. In 1838, when the Cherokee were targeted for forced exile on the trail of tears, the mothers of the Cherokee wept because they could not help their children survive the journey. The elders prayed for a sign of hope for them, to give the mothers strength. The following day the roses grew where the mothers tears had fallen.. To this day Daryl believes that as long as there is a Cherokee rose, it is connected to a missing child... He just wants to give you a little hope in his own special way." Jaxx explained, Lori listened as she folded up dry clothing.

"So you think the roses you found... Were for Sofia?" Carol asked, jaxx nodded and hung up one of Sofia's shirts. "We absolutely do... We'll find her." Jaxx assured, noticing his husband coming from their tent and walking towards the truck with the map on it. Making his way towards him, Daryl stopped to catch up with Jaxx. "Hey, Wonderboy..." Jaxx greeted, giving his husband a kiss.

Daryls cheeks turned pink as he looked around, making sure no one was looking before he kissed back. "Hey, Clover.. Remember, no sesrchin' for you." Daryl reminded, Jaxx chuckled. "Yes, yes I know. Either help the girls or look out with Dale... Hey, isn't that my tank top?" Jaxx teased, Daryl rolled his eyes.

"It's the first one I found!" He protested, but jaxx didn't buy it for a moment. "Yeah, okay. Be careful out there." Jaxx said again before returning to the girls, Daryl looked around again to see Dale on top of the RV, smiling. "The fuck you looking at old timer?" Daryl said in a threatening tone, but Dale didn't pay him any mind. "I'm just.. Glad to see love is still alive." Dale said, Daryl scoffed and walked to the mapping station.

As Rick discusses the mapping grid, Daryl buds in. "Gonna go look down at that ridge, the one connected to the shallow creek." Daryl explained, pointing at his location. "Aye man maybe you'll find your chupacabra while you're there." T-dog jested, Daryl sneered. "A what?" Rick asked, Dale chuckled. "Jaxx told us about the time where Daryl swore he saw a chupacabra on one of his hunting trips" Dale explained, Daryl smiled a bit. The chupacabra story is jaxx's favorite story to tell.

"You believe in devil dogs?" Rick asked, Daryl picked up his crossbow. "And you believe in the walkin' dead?" He asked before heading to the horse stables. Saddling up the nearest horse, Daryl climbed up and set out on his journey. The sun in his face dimmed as he headed back into the Woodland, the horse neighing at anything moving. "Hey don't chicken out on me." He said to the horse, petting her neck to calm her.

As he rode across the ridge, Daryl spotted something on a shallow rock. A doll. Climbing off of the horse, Daryl slowly lowered himself down to inspect it. "This Sofia's doll..." He said, confirming it to be the little girls. Calling out her name a few times and getting no response, Daryl clipped the doll to his belt and climbed back up. Getting back on the horse and riding off.

As Daryl rode to turn around, a snake crossed the dirt path. Frightened, the horse threw Daryl off, sending the redneck flying back down into the ridge before passing out from hitting the shallow stream hard.