Caged Birds

A/N: just a little reminder, I love you guys <3 Black dog by samurai is the chapter song, it feels like a very Daryl song I think.

That morning, Jaxx observed the walkers in the prison yard. It didn't seem like there were a lot... A good team could handle the horde.

"Thinking what I'm thinking?" Rick asked as he approached the fence gate.

"It would be a safer environment for Lori in there... If we get the walkers out, of course." Jaxx responded. Rick nodded and leaned against the guard tower.

"If we form a circle, walk in time with each other, and listen to each other, a team of us could get this done... I was thinking me, you, T dog, Maggie, Daryl, and Glenn." Rick explained, Jaxx tied his hair back.

"That sounds like the best way.. Let's go get the others." Jaxx agreed.

Once the plan was set and everyone was in place, Lori opened the courtyard gate for the team. Once they were inside, she closed it. With quick succession the small team cleared the main blacktop and locked the rest of the walkers inside the basketball court. Jaxx studied the last walker they put down, it's face was torn off when Rick removed it's gas mask.

"Clover I don't think we're safe in here.. There's a hole in that fence, and a crack in that wall." Daryl said, pointing out the two formalities. "And that walker over there's a civilian... Came from outside." T dog pointed out, gesturing to a female walker in a pink dress.

"There's a visitors center right over there, see the name tag on her? She was visiting someone when the breakout began." Jaxx responded, peeling the visitors name tag from the corpse. "Juliana... Poor girl."

"Still think we should check inside.." Daryl said, Jaxx nodded. "Good point.. Rick?" Jaxx said, looking to their leader. Rick looked at both buildings.

"We should check.. Jaxx go back to the others, tell them what's going on." Rick ordered, Jaxx nodded and jogged his way back to the gate. Lori let him back outside, her expression of a worried one. "They fear there's integrity problems on the courtyard so they're checking inside that cell block." Jaxx explained, Lori watched as the team made their way inside.

"Are they going to be okay in there?" She asked, Jaxx shook his head. "I honestly have no clue what's in there, but they'll be just fine." He assured, the visitors building caught his eye once more.

Once T-Dog emerged and gave him the all clear, Jaxx lead everyone inside the cell block. Three walker body's were being removed as they all entered.

"What do you think?" Rick asked, Glenn looked unimpressed by the bodies. "Home sweet home, for now." Jaxx replied, getting a glimpse of a smile from Glenn.

"It's secure?" Lori asked, Rick nodded. "This blocks locked up tight, gotta set of keys. Daryl has the spare." He replied, Jaxx looked at his husband. He knew Daryl would never sleep in one of these cells. "What about the rest of the prison?" Hershel asked.

"In the morning we'll make rounds. Find the cafeteria and the infirmary, and check that visitors center." Rick planned, Jaxx's ears perked up. "I can check the center myself, know it well enough." He offered, Daryl gave him a questioning look.

"Alright.. Sounds like a plan." Rick replied, as everyone founds their own cells Daryl gathered some mattresses and blankets and set them up on the perch where the upper level stairs met. "Ain't sleepin' in no cage.." He muttered, Jaxx shook his head with a smile.

"You know this arrangement will be difficult in the winter, right?" He questioned, Daryl shrugged. "I'll figure it out. C'mere, keep me warm." Daryl teased, Jaxx snuggled up to his husband on the mattresses. He watched from below as Rick just settled in a corner by the cell block entrance.

"Tomorrow I'll go check out the visitors center.. Maybe the snack machines are still full." Jaxx said, yawning as he did so. Daryl pulled Jaxx closer.

"Jus' be careful..."

The next morning, after gathering the riot gear off of the walkers outside, Jaxx picked up a mucus filled helmet in disgust. "Jaysus... I'm not wearing this. I'd rather die." Jaxx said, putting the helmet down and picking up a baton. "could boil em.." said T-Dog, Jaxx shook his head.

"ain't enough firewood in all of Georgia. We gotten this far without em." Daryl chimed in, handing Jaxx a flash light and a carton of bullets for his revolver.

"Jaxx!" Carol called, Jaxx put the baton in his belt loop and the bullets and flashlight in his bag before following Carol to Lori's cell.

"Lori, you alright?" Jaxx asked, kneeling in front of her with Herschels med kit.

"I think I lost the baby.. Haven't felt it move at all" she said, her tone worried. "Jaxx if we're all infected that means the baby is too.. What if I lost it what if it rips me apart what if it kills me" Lori rambled as Jaxx looked for the stethoscope.

"Lori, Lori please try to calm down. It's possible that the baby has slowed it's movements to preserve energy and nutrition.." Jaxx explained, examining her stomach and hearing for the baby's pulse, Jaxx could hear it's faint thumping.

"It is alive, I assure you. You just need to keep yourself healthy and fed... Carol while both Herschel and I are gone, are you sure you're okay?" He asked Carol, she nodded. "You and Herschel taught me enough.." She responded.

Jaxx could still see the worry on Lori's face. "Lori, if it does pass and turn.. It's body is far too weak to cause you harm." He said in a hushed tone. "Jaxx if I.. If I die, put me down. I don't want myself attacking you, or the baby, or anyone else. If I come back you put a bullet in my brain, understand me?" She pleaded, Jaxx frowned but nodded in agreement.

"If you, the baby, or both of you pass.. I'll make sure to do so. But don't see this birth as a death sentence, see it as a chance for a new life..." Jaxx said softly, holding Lori's hand in comfort.

Lori took a deep breath and nodded, she squeezed Jaxx's hand as he stood. "You're a strong woman, Lori Grimes. Don't lose your hope so quickly." Jaxx added before letting go of Lori's hand and giving the medical bad to Carol.

Heading back out to the cell block entrance, he watched as Rick, Daryl, Herschel, and T-Dog prepared to enter the halls beside the block. Jaxx helped Daryl strap into his bulletproof vest.

"Aren't you handsome?" Jaxx remarked, stealing a kiss from Daryl. Daryl rolled his eyes in embarrassment. "Clover..." He muttered, Jaxx smiled.

"Oh please you know you love your good luck kiss. If you find Axels body, let's bury him properly."