64. Animals

Someone opens the door, pushing them and they hit the wall, starling me

Someone opens the door, pushing them and they hit the wall, starling me. I open my burning eyes that are bloodshot now not from the alcohol, but from all the tears I shred.

That Gypsy again storms in my room and hits the door with his hands as they are the drums he is playing on.

"Get up, you idiot! Uuuu, it's cold in here!", he says, nuzzling his palms on one another, breathing in them to warm. He pulls my blanket that is the shield that is supposed to protect my body from the coldness that is embracing this damp room that makes me sneeze.

"Give...", I sneeze hard, again from the cold moisture.

"No, no! C'mon down! It's time for dinner! Aren't you hungry?" On the mention of food my stomach growls. "You are, asshole!", he chuckles when my stomach sings a song I don't like, and he laughs as an evil villain in the cartoon that I used to watch as a young child who still had his mom on his side. And his dad.

Some gross smell fills my nostrils and it doesn't take me much to realize that it's coming from him. He stinks so much, Gosh for how long he hasn't been taking a shower?

"Just leave me." I bury my head in the pillow that is nothing more but a ball of cotton wool, fonded not that comfortable for my heavy and tired head.

"Oh, I won't! You can't just sit here and do nothing! C'mon, we have so many troubles to cause!" He pulls my leg with his disgusting and dirty hand.

"Let go of me!", I bark as a frustrated dog that makes him bounce back, startled.

"Uuuu, what a scary boy! Hey, T come here!" He again calls his sister and I roll my eyes burying them in the pillow. Yeah, those Gypsy people are what I really need right now.

"What?", her deep voice that keeps surprising me each time she talks, fills the room, revealing that she entered it.

"Let's show this idiot how we love to play here!"

"On it, bro!" I don't have to look at her to know that her lips are curled in a big smile, showing her black teeth.

While I wait to see how they love to play I hear faint whispering coming from the siblings mixed with muffled chuckles, while my head is buried in the pillow that just now I realized as well stinks. Why everything stinks in this damn shelter?

Before I turn to see their stupid amused faces I smell smoke. I scrunch my nose while turning my head from inside of the pillow and frown, rubbing my eyes, trying to adjust them to the darkness that is present in this room as well as it is in my miserable life, since the day my mom left me, taking the light with her.

"What the f..." I intend to ask, but before I have a chance, my gaze falls from their mischievous grins to the flame that is burning.

I scream, when I realized that it is on my pants and I search for something in this room that could put it off. I want to take the half torn and dusty blanket, but it's gripped in the guy's hands and when he sees that I'm eyeing it, he just waves it through the air with an evil grin, running out of room.