66. Overprotective

Park Ridge

Park Ridge. The place where I grew up. Where I had friends, where I had mom, where I had life. Where I was happy. Living in this area I never experienced pain, sorrow, or sadness. I was a happy kid, with a smile on my face and blonde hair, holding hands with my mom and burying my head in her warm chest every time I would feel shy. And that was a case a lot of times.

Now all of that is just a distant memory, without colors in which I'm looking right now through the magical hole which gives me the ability to remember the good old times when I was happy without any problems on my small back. I would love to jump there and come back to my previous life with no worries. But, no, unfortunately, I'm stuck here. Before my eyes fill with tears and they have a chance to fall on my cheeks, someone squeaks my name and I turn around startled.

"Stella?"

Before I can see who is calling my name which always reminds me of my mother and her roots and how she promised me to take me there, to Bergamo where she was born, someone hugs me and almost knocks me down. And suddenly all my memories are dispersed in just a second as well as the dream to visit Italy with my mom, sightseeing it with her and taking in my roots with her hand squeezing mine gently and smile placed across her beautiful face mirroring mine.

When the person who hugged me tightly and almost made me choke pulls away I meet with Chloe's beautiful face with a natural make-up look and her curly blonde hair. Her smile is widening while her ocean eyes are smiling as well, and I try to curl my lips in the same smile, as well but fail.

She is wearing a pink shirt and a short navy skirt but reminds me of the ones that princesses wear and of course, she looks like an angel in all this, unlike me dressed in all black, like a devil. Our skirts are similar though, mine is matched with fishnet stockings and a crop top sweatshirt, while her shirt is with short puffy sleeves.

"I missed you!", she squeals.

"I missed you, too." The excitement in my voice isn't that obvious and it looks like I'm lying, when in fact I really did miss her. I need someone cheerful as her in my life to drive away from my demons, even though I'm perfectly aware of how impossible that is.

"Come, come", she takes my hand and pulls me, "I want you to meet them." I know exactly how much she wants me to meet them. I stop.

"Chloe...", I trail off, looking at the ground, and at the side, everywhere but in her eyes. "Let's save that for another time, I..."

"No! I told you, Stella!" She pats the ground with her shoe and just then I realize that she's not wearing heels, but regular white sneakers. Whenever we would go out she was wearing high heels. Looks like that was a part of her mask as well.

"But..."

"What I said, huh? Come on, say it!" She shrugs with her shoulder and crosses her arm, pouting her pink lips. "Come on, I'm waiting!"