Chapter 12

He was there waiting for her as he'd promised .

Alexandra wanted to be spiteful and walk past the car ,but she rethought that idea . She couldn't be that rude . She'd be pulling a Damon then . So she squared her shoulders and marched to the car .

He opened the door before she could and greeted her with a breathtaking smile .

She smiled back impulsively without having the chance to stop herself , but dropped it when she realised what she was doing and got in the car .

" Hi," she said then feeling a bit awkward when he kept looking at her .

" Hello ", he replied ," How was school ?".

She shrugged." Okay  I suppose . School is school  like always."

He only nodded at that and turned the key in the ignition .

For a few minutes there were silence between them. Only her breath​ and the sound of the car could be heard .

She didn't mind the silence . She had nothing to say to him .

She looked at the buildings of the town they passed by . She watched the people going through their daily lives .

She wondered what they'd say if they knew about Döppelgangers and all things supernatural .

Would they seem so without a care in their lives then?. Would they wish they were still so very much oblivious to it all ?.

" That must've been a deep thought ", his voice broke through her thoughts causing them to vanish like fog before the sun .

She looked at him briefly wondering if she should answer or not . He might not even understand .

" I was just thinking about  people in general ", she said ,which wasn't a complete lie .

" Oh?,"he said ," And what about them?".

She shrugged ."Nothing . You can drop me at the store, thank you, Doctor Cullen . It's nearly my shift ."

They were just about to pass it when she said that,  so he had to quickly slow the car down and find a parking spot .

She thanked him again and was about to get out when he stopped her like he did that morning .

" My name is Carlisle . You don't have to call me Doctor Cullen like everyone else does . Bella doesn't either ".

She scrunched up her nose cutely . " Well, I'm not Bella ,so I'll keep calling you Doctor like everyone else . Besides, Bella would get a heart attack if I call you by your given name . So let's not let that happen ,shall we ?. Goodbye , Doctor Cullen, and thanks again ".

He watched her as she left the car .Feeling strange . Like he was dying inside.

He realised that he wasn't ready to let her go . He decided that he'd pick her up after work and hope that she wouldn't get angry with him . That she'd accept his help.
            🖤💣💣🖤
" I see Doctor Cullen dropped you off ", Wanda Haskins commented to her as they cleaned and restocked a shelf .

" Yeah , I was walking and he offered me a lift . It was no big deal . Don't read something into it that isn't there ", Alexandra replied , bending over a box  of mini chocolate bars in small boxes .

She picked one small box  up and opened it before placing it on the shelf.

" Don't read something into it ?. Are you serious ?. Doctor Cullen never does stuff like that . Offering you a lift indeed ".
Alexandra rolled her eyes at that . She was sure that Wanda was just exaggerating . Doctor Cullen might've offered someone else a lift in the past and Wanda​ mightn't known​ about it .

Throughout the rest of her shift she ignored it when Wanda tried to talk about the doctor again and ,if possible, she changed the subject .

When her shift was over she walked out of the store with Wanda and Prudence Weber , a cousin of Angela Weber , laughing  and talking about nonsensical things and  lo and behold , there he was waiting for her , leaning against the car like that morning .

Wanda gave her a look that spoke volumes before rushing off to her car with Prudence ,whom she always carpooled with.

Alexandra didn't know if she should laugh or cry when she watched them go . She would've loved to be somewhere else right now rather than having to walk over to the doctor's car  .
             🖤💣💣🖤
" How was work?", Carlisle asked as they drove away from the store.

" Good ,I guess. Wanda Haskins wondered why you dropped me off . "

She could bite her tongue for saying that . What was he going to think of her  ?. Even if those words just slip out , she shouldn't have said it .

" Oh, and why ?", he asked looking at her briefly.

She looked at her hands and shrugged as answer. She knew why ,but she wasn't going to tell him about Wanda's crazy notion about him liking her , Alexandra.

" Hm," he hummed thoughtfully ," Maybe she thinks that we're together . But you can tell her that we're not . We ,you and I , can't be together because I'm not human ".

Alexandra frowned at that . Where did he even come up with that idea?. She don't want to be with him in any way , romantically or platonically or otherwise . She hoped he didn't think that she would want to be with him . That's ... that's embarrassing and.... and disgusting.

" Look , Doctor Cullen, maybe you shouldn't drop me off or pick me up if you want people  to know or think  otherwise . You can stop the car now . I can walk home . I didn't ask for your help," she uttered angrily.

" No,no , Alexandra . I ... I didn't mean to offend you . It's just that ...that ...". He sighed in frustration and didn't finish .

She bit her lip and unconsciously hugged herself in comfort.

The polite friendliness have vanished into thin air . She shouldn't have said a word .

They didn't talk again until they said goodbye at her Uncle's house.

She then proceeded to leave and didn't dare look back to him where he still sat , waiting for who knows what .
              🖤💣💣🖤
" Hey ,Sissy, how's life in Forks ?. Did Bella come back okay ?".

" Yes , Lena , she did. And Forks' okay . I just wish this school year would end ."

She'd called Elena because she missed her dearly and needed someone to talk to . Someone she know and trusted  .

" Uh oh, what happened ,Alex ?. Did someone at school do or say something ?. Or was it Bella maybe?".

Holding her phone tighter in her shaking hand ,she swallowed .

" Know . It's .... it's nothing really . I'm just being a crybaby tonight , Lena . It's probably finals week that's​ bothering me or something . And then there's graduation day . Mom and Dad should've been there with us  on that day ,you know. And Uncle John and Aunt Jenna. Now they can't because they're gone and I'm here in another town and I know it's my own fault because I ... I wanted to get away from Mystic Falls and the supernatural stuff ,but it didn't work . I ... I ...How was I supposed to know that  there's supernatural in this town also ?. It killed Uncle John and Aunt Jenna. It killed Bonnie's Grams .It almost killed you and I . I...If I'd have known about  the Cullens and the wolves in La Push ,then maybe I wouldn't have come here . "

" Listen,Sissy, you can't say that . We'll always get involved with the supernatural . Even if we don't want to . It's in our blood . It's no use running away . Look , I gotta go . Caroline and Bonnie's already waiting at the Grill . I'll call you tomorrow ,okay . Or we can text now. "

" Okay, say hello to them for me . Enjoy your evening ."

" Will do . Bye ".

They hung up and Alexandra came to a swift realisation that her sister ,for some reason , didn't really want to talk to her . She wondered what that was all about .

Was Elena outgrowing her perhaps?. No that was utterly ridiculous . She couldn't be . Or could she ?. 

Throughout the rest of the evening before bed Alexandra pondered on that , worrying that she'd lost Elena too .
              🖤💣💣🖤
Enjoy .🖤