Ch21 - Encounter

Unfortunately, the housekeeper’s joy and sorrow couldn’t be seen.

Li Zhao pulled Yan Ting to the sofa, rummaged through his medicine box and stuffed the thermometer into Yan Ting’s hands. “Obediently sit here and I’ll get you a cup of hot water.” Then he took out a cartoon cup from the box, washing it clean, circled the house and found the water dispenser. 

“You’re sick and need to drink more hot water.” Li Zhao tested the water temperature with the back of his hand. He handed the cup over and took the thermometer. “37.9 degrees. It is a low-grade fever and for now, you don’t need to take antipyretics.”

“Did you get a cold when you came down from the company last night without a coat?” Li Zhao frowned ruefully. “I knew I should’ve gone upstairs or at least reminded you to wear a coat.”

“My body isn’t good.” Yan Ting coughed twice. “Last night, I forgot to close the window. It has nothing to do with you.”

The housekeeper looked at the cartoon cup with a big doll head and the words ‘Tomorrow will be Better’. He smiled at the ridiculous mug and shifted his gaze. 

One of the basic criteria for a qualified housekeeper: Smile gracefully at the employer’s family-related things, no matter how surprising. He was the best graduate of the housekeeping university and would never allow himself to show the slightest flaw.

The temperature of the water wasn’t hot or cold. It was just right to go down his throat. Yan Ting lay on the sofa and watched Li Zhao busy unpacking, as well as coming back from time to time to replace the towel on Yan Ting’s forehead. His heart was strangely quiet. His brain had never been as stable as this moment.

“The housekeeper uncle said there will be a lot of delicious food at noon but you are in this situation and can only eat light food.” Li Zhao sympathetically patted the hot towel on Yan Ting’s forehead. “Don’t be sad. I’ll accompany you to eat porridge for the next two days. Once you are well, I’ll invite you to a fancy meal.”

Yan Ting let Li Zhao pat his towel. Then once Li Zhao took the towel away, Yan Ting got up. “Okay.”

At noon, the table was indeed full of food. Li Zhao dragged his stool away from the table where Zhang Xiaoyuan was sitting and held the rice porridge in front of him. The bowl of porridge was soon in his belly. Li Zhao was ready to eat a second bowl when he saw that Yan Ting’s bowl of porridge was barely touched. “Are you unable to eat because you have stomach pains?”

Yan Ting put down the bowl and wiped his mouth with his handkerchief. “It doesn’t matter. You don’t have to worry about me.”

“What do you mean? Don’t worry about you?” Li Zhao put down the bowl and was ready to add rice. “If you’re sick and don’t eat, how can your body last?”

“Just wait.” He got up and ran to the kitchen, bringing out a bowl of sour cowpeas. “This is my pickled cowpeas. Previously, the aunt who took care of my made it and it is particularly delicious. I got her recipe and it is delicious, especially when two drops of sesame oil is poured on it. You aren’t accustomed to eating this so you should try it first.” 

The sour cowpeas were slightly spicy and the pickling time was good. There was a crisp texture and salty taste. It was a bit sour and went very well with the light rice porridge.