INTRODUCTION

"Please don't leave

"Please don't leave." She said softly but he heard it with
his heightened hearing and stopped. She continued to stare at him showing the most emotion she has to anyone in a really long time. His back remained turned to her as he took deep heavy breathes in. "You lied..... about everything. Did you really think I'd judge you for it? I really don't understand you Nina, I was starting to think I was but then...... you shut me out over and over and I can't keep doing this." He said sounding ready to break down as he kept his stiff back to her. If he would turn around he'd notice the fear and pain all over her face and how she truly felt for him. The false exterior she had built herself on had fallen completely all he had to do was turn around and look at her.

But he didn't.

He began walking away further from her making the rain feel colder and harsher on her skin. She broke down trying to recall what had made them come to this point. All the lies she spewed and to protect what? A monster? Herself? She didn't know but every step he took felt like a piece of her was shriveling up and it was all her fault...... her fault that she was finally and truly alone. The beautiful lies she had told had ruined everything around her and ruined how the others saw her. Maybe she would have been off better if she'd kept to herself like she used to do so easily. But he made that hard on her.

________________________________________

Nina Verro lived alone with her father since her mother died, and she always made excuses to make up for his behavior. Since the young age of 8 she received beatings that she truly believed that she deserved because her father told her she did. It's because he's drunk. He had a bad day at work. I wasn't good enough at what I was doing. It's not his fault I remind him of my mother. But she wouldn't lie saying she longed for the dream world she read about in her books of a loving family, or the shows that were unrealistic in her eyes. She could never have any of that.

Over the years her punishments worsened and she covered them up no matter how hard it got. Her childhood all seemed to blur together filled with marks and staying indoors as the children in the neighborhood would play right outside. She never joined them. Hell she never even learned to swim due to the fact she couldn't wear a swimsuit or simply she had no one to teach her.

Her father Ivan Verro was actually a CEO that brought home wealthy amounts of money. His business seemed to be his only true pride and joy. Nina was to play into the pretend life he told his colleagues but once they left? Well it depended on what she had messed up at. Maybe she didn't smile enough or maybe she didn't look interested in their conversations. One night she had spilled wine on the white rug that cost a fortune after one of her father parties, she tried scrubbing it with bleach before he saw. Her father walked in shortly..... she had never seen him so mad before. The way his eyes fell to the stain then to her terrified expression made her insides crawl and her stomach leap into her throat. He grabbed her hair lifting her up making her cry out as the tears began falling, and useless begging began. "Please dad it was an accident!" She cried having only been trying to clean up after his little get together.

"You act like I enjoy this Nina. You think I enjoy having such a pathetic excuse of a daughter?" He seethed with his slight Bulgarian accent seeping through. She tried to stop crying knowing that only would upset him more but it was too late as he grabbed her chin roughly squeezing enough to leave bruises. "What have I said about crying? It makes you weak Nina." He threw her roughly away from him making her hit her head on the edge of the glass coffee table that sat in the middle of the rug. Feeling her head with her hand she looked at it to notice wine had gotten on the back of head. Her eyes felt like they were bulging when she realized it was her blood and that it had begun to pour profusely. It would definitely leave a scar how deeply she had cut herself making her try to breathe calmly but now she was worried.

She felt dazed not seeing her father looking at her from above as her eyes were unfocused in her blood stained fingers. "Dad I think I- I need to go to a hospital." She said trying to remain calm but he looked at her with so much menace she curled into herself into the fetal position trying to protect herself from the blows. He kicked her as hard as he could, anywhere she wasn't covering he'd kick repeatedly. The pain was excruciating but after while he panted heavily walking away and grabbing his car keys. "Let's go...... you know the drill." He sighed making her stand in a rush knowing he'd be angrier if she stayed to stop the dizziness. She had a towel from the kitchen to not ruin his fancy car seats. The drive made her eyes close slower and slower until they were at the hospital.

Walking through the ER doors she squinted at the bright light that bothered her but felt soothing. Her father never lay his hand on her when in the public eye. Walking to the counter he smiled charmingly at the receptionist who smiled and happily helped him with paper work. She glanced at me for a second and went wide eyed and began pushing a button. I didn't understand why until I pulled the white kitchen towel away from my head for a second, it was now almost stained completely dark red. I felt wobbly on my feet at the sight but luckily a nurse began dragging me to the back. My father glaring at me briefly the look of 'you better not tell what actually happened'.

But no matter how much I tried saying I fell down the stairs they gave me disbelieving looks. They even tried forcing me to change into a hospital gown but my legs were littered in bruises they would have seen. They had to know what the truth was. I came to the ER at every few months with a new accident but.... they always let me go. This time however they had a new doctor who clearly hadn't heard of my father before and didn't fear trying to call the cops. Somehow my father wiggled free of their accusations though, it may have done something with bribe. But either way that's what made my father decide to pick up business and get away from these people that had seen me a little too frequently.

He decided La Push Washington was where he was going to set up shop once again. It's my senior year and I'm only 17 so of course I had to go with him. Besides he's my dad...... deep down I know the father I once knew was in there and that he would need me. I love him. He's all I have I can't just leave him, besides that would show how pathetic I was and I was gonna prove to him I was worthy of his love too.