CHAPTER TWELVE

THE drive towards Kim's house was tensely quiet between the two due to their earlier conversations

THE drive towards Kim's house was tensely quiet between the two due to their earlier conversations. Sams knuckles were white as he gripped the wheel to his truck with so much anger, Nina thought so anyway. He would glance at her here and there but usually he was pretty focused on the road, Nina would look at him when he wasn't staring at her. She still found the man utterly attractive, although he was about to be ruining her life possibly. Nina felt a weird connection to him but deep down in her gut she was furious with him and how easily he had guessed her story. In all her 17 years no one had ever been able to figure it out. Kim had her suspicions but she didn't know until she saw the marks. Sam picked it up in her behavior, high freaked her out since he didn't know her too well.

As Kim's house came into view Nina sighed in relief to get away from this awkwardly tense situation. Once the truck was in park she jumped out mumbling a simple goodbye and sped walked to the front door. She froze however when she heard a truck door slam shut behind her, slowly turning around she noticed Sam approaching. "Can I help you?" Nina asked confused why he suddenly was coming to her when they had just been in the car together for 15-20 minutes and he hadn't said a word. "I'm just here to speak with Kim real quick." He stated it casually but Nina knew his intentions and began to scowl. "Can't you just drop it? I'm nothing to you okay? I'm not your family. I'm not your friend, and I sure as hell am not your girlfriend. So just leave it be." Nina snapped coldly watching as an emotion quickly comes and goes on his face. It was quickly masked with a stoic look of frustration as if he didn't care when really this was killing him.

"I just want to talk to Kim. It's none of your business about what, so if you'll excuse me." He stated with a frown before knocking harshly on the door. Nina held back a flinch at the loud and harsh motion and watched him closely as Kim's mother Janet opened the door with a small knowing smirk. "Sam, and Nina come on in. No need for formalities you guys are welcome anytime." She gushed steeping away from the door frame for the couple to walk in. Nina immediately scoffed and stormed up to Kim's room finding her doing her homework. "Oh so your home? How was it with Sam?" Kim squealed looking away from her homework making her smile fall. "What's wrong Nina?" She asked standing up frantic as Nina looked ready to break down. "Sam figured it out. My deep dark secret is coming to light and I'm just- I thought I was ready but I'm not. I hated the way he looked at me with so much pity." Nina sighed sitting down on the bed curled up in a ball holding her legs to her chest.

"But won't it be easier now that he knows? I mean maybe he can help." Kim encouraged but a cruel cold laugh left Nina as she shook her head. "No one can help me Kim. I have to go back soon and face him alone." Nina explained but this made Kim look at her like she was absolutely insane. "Are you out of your mind? You said it yourself that he's punished you for less." Kim exasperated like she was in shock now. "But I need to say my last goodbyes to him if I want that closure to maybe eventually move on with my life. I have things he needs to hear and know before I just up and leave him by himself." She sighed brushing fingers through her hair anxiously. "Oh and Sam is here to talk to you, no brained about what. Just please don't give him to gruesome of the details, I don't need him freaking out or involving the police too early." Nina begged.