CHAPTER TWENTY

NINA stayed over at Sam's that night and Kim parents were okay with it since Nina and him were imprints

NINA stayed over at Sam's that night and Kim parents were okay with it since Nina and him were imprints. Plus she was only their adopted daughter and they didn't want to force her into a bond with them she wasn't ready for. She definitely wasn't ready for that genuine parental bond yet, she needed time to process what the real relationship between her and her father was.

Nothing but abuse and torture. No love.

The bed was unnaturally cold that morning as Nina woke up to Sam gone on patrol. It made her grab a cardigan and begin to cook breakfast for when the rest of the pack came around or when Sam returned from his shift.

Nina was surprised no one came around at the usual time and it made her furrow her brows. They were usually knocking the door off its hinges by that time fighting to get in and eat first.

When a creak on the porch rings out in the weird silence Nina gulps and goes to the door timidly opening it.

She sighs with relief at the sight of Paul looking at his feet.

"Y-you scared me." Nina says awkwardly as he looks a bit grim and says a silent sorry. "Come in- I made French toast." Nina says shyly not sure whether the boy even wanted to be around her alone. Unbeknownst to the two this was a collaborative plan from the others to get Paul to apologize while Sam was out and couldn't interfere.

Paul goes to his seat looking impatient as he looks at Jared and Embry's usual seats that remained empty.

He was silently cussing them out in his head for leaving him in such an awkward position. Paul didn't have the best home life and tried to stay out of his house as much as possible. He constantly was at Sam's, school or patrol only going home when it was time to sleep and even then he couldn't get much sleep some nights.

His fathers drunken yells or hammering on the door would make him wake up or stare at the ceiling until he walked away to drunkenly snore in his recliner.

Sometimes when Paul needed a good nights sleep he'd sneak into Sam's house but he hadn't done it since Sam imprinted scared what he'd wander into.

"I'm sorry." Paul says it lowly but somehow Nina still hears it and slowly looks at him with a slight grimace. "It's okay." She says in a hurry just wanting it be over but he shakes his head not meeting her eyes. "No it's not- I was a dick and I'm sorry..... I didn't mean any of it." He says before looking at her as she glances at him before her feet.

"Your not forced with Sam, your also not weird, and- I'm not forced to be friends with you. We are friends and I like being your friend." Paul clarifies making her look at him with glazed over eyes. "Really?" She asks timidly making him nod and feel even worse seeing her question it. "I like being your friend too, and I'm sorry I pushed you on it. You were right I'll never fully get it. I've never had friends before so- this is all just new to me. But I like being with you guys." Nina rambles awkwardly making him smile softly.