CHAPTER NINETEEN

"IS THIS YOU?" Nina asks Sam with a smile as she looks at a photo book he had on his shelf

"IS THIS YOU?" Nina asks Sam with a smile as she looks at a photo book he had on his shelf. "Oh- geez where did you find that?" Sam chuckles awkwardly as Nina is seen kneeling by his book case with books he had since his school days. A duster laid beside her letting him know she wasn't snooping, not that he would mind. She simply was cleaning and stumbled across it.

"You were so cute." Nina says smiling at him as she looks through the book. Sam smiles and comes to sit next to her on the floor watching her as she looks at the book with fondness. "Were? Past tense?" He teases making her scoff and her cheeks to go a light shade of pink.

"No. Your still cute...." She says awkwardly and blushing like a mad woman as he smirks at her before looking at the photos she was looking at.

"This was from when I was on the tee ball team as a kid." Sam says beginning to explain photos to her as they flipped through the book. Nina couldn't fight the smile on her face getting to see his past and see how cute he was as a kid.

He looked happy.

He was a happy kid.

He got that past unlike Nina.

Nina felt her smile slowly fall as her mind began to wonder to her childhood. She had a photo album too, but unlike Sam hers stopped abruptly after her mother died. She felt a slight twinge of jealousy as she experienced the photos of Sam and his mother growing up.

She didn't miss the fact his father was absent during most of them, here and there he stood in a picture with a forced smile. She remembered Sam saying his mother left when he turned 18 but he never said what happened to his father.

"Why isn't your dad in a lot of these?" Nina asks glancing to Sam who seems to stiffen and clear his throat looking away.

"He left when I was nine." Sam says making Nina look at the photo of the man then back to him. "Why?" She asks innocently not fully understanding how a parent could leave his own child. Her mother left her due to death and even her piece of work father never left her.

"He got a new family." Sam explains making Nina's nose scrunch and for her to stare at the man she now had a bit of anger towards. "I just- I don't get it. How could someone just-...." Nina trailed off slowly looking from Sam's father to child Sam making her smile sadly.

She was sure that was something he had asked himself a lot growing up too. 'Why wasn't the family he already had enough?' 'Why did he need another one when he had his first to still take care of?'

"Don't know and don't really care he wasn't much of a dad to me anyway." Sam tried to play it off like he was unbothered but Nina felt her heart strings pull at his words. "I'm sorry." She mumbles closing the book feeling guilty for bringing such a different mood to the situation.