CHAPTER TWENTY-ONE

JACOB joining the pack once again made the whispers at school start up when he was gone 'sick'

JACOB joining the pack once again made the whispers at school start up when he was gone 'sick'. Really he was learning to control his temper but he didn't seem to lose it often, he was quite accepting of his legends. Everyone at school began to speculate but they thought it was a crazy conspiracy. Jacob loathed the cult more then Embry. He hated them even more when Embry stopped being his friend.

Chris and Quil could be seen looking angrily at the pack as if trying to see through their heads. Quil knew..... he no longer received answers from his friend through text or call. He looked depressed making Nina look away guiltily, remembering the happy boy she first met. He almost looked like an empty shell, he had lost his two closest friends since childhood.

Paul constantly spotted Nina glancing to the boy and he'd try to divert her attention. He even tried consoling her that Quil could possibly phase in the future as well.

Of course through the mind link all the boys saw what Paul did and that made Jacob like the girl more. She cared deeply and she'd only met Quil once or twice. Jacob did in fact turn down the position as Alpha, and he was very upset hearing he could no longer speak with Bella or Quil. He was angrier by the second realizing if he had taken the position he could have changed that rule.

But he also didn't want the stress of running the pack, especially with pack mates that were older then him. Jacob found it weird imagining himself commanding Paul or Jared to do something. In school they would have kicked his ass if he tried doing that before. Of course now they'd be forced to if he had been alpha, he'd even have to boss his best friend around.

It was too much for the young teen boy.

"Paul tells me you've been upset at school this week." Sam says it nonchalantly as Nina cleans the kitchen late at night. The boys had only just left as they were trying to power through homework. Nina had already finished hers so she did Paul's while he was on patrol.

Nina shrugs before a small awkward smile comes to her lips. "You mean he told you I've been upset for Quil." She mumbles it lowly but he still hears it nodding slowly. "Why do you care about him?" Sam asks it only a little rough making Nina look at him with pursed lips.

She was beginning to see even someone as calm and collected as Sam got jealous. He was jealous right now even.

"I met him on one of my first days in town, he was nice to me. He didn't even know me and he was nice to me. He's a good kid, I just feel bad both his friends are gone and now- he seems depressed. He hasn't even seen Jacob yet but he went through this with Embry so- he probably already knows." The girl rambles wiping the kitchen table even harsher.

Sam walks up behind her and stops her hand from cleaning a non existent mess in his eyes. He noticed that she tended to do this with his house, especially if the boys came and made the tiniest of messes. He was trying to get her out of the habit but it proved difficult.