CHAPTER FOURTEEN

NINA awoke with a startled breathe as she came around and was in an unfamiliar room

NINA awoke with a startled breathe as she came around and was in an unfamiliar room. Looking around she could still smell the hospitals sterile smell making her relax a bit until she remembered why she was there. Her father had nearly killed her....... He had killed her mother. And he was still out roaming free and he could come back anytime.... He'll be could come back next week, in a month, in 5 years and he wasn't one to give up so easily. He would be back. And he would finish what he had started. That thought alone made chill run down Nina's spine at the knowledge she would have to face her father once again. She didn't know what even came over her last time adrenaline? Will power? Fear? She couldn't place it but whatever it had been numbed the pain..... at first. Her entire body hurt head to toe, she thought when she got here last night that she would be good as new by the next day especially with her pain tolerance.

Sam entered the room suddenly carrying a filled up tray from the nasty cafeteria, he talked to someone outside the hall thanking them before his eyes met hers. "Nina? Are you feeling okay? Do you need me to get you something water or food?" He rambled in a rush setting the tray on the counter and rushing to her side. "No no I'm good. Just a bit sore is all." She said with a sad smile making Sams anger peek through a bit yet again. "I swear Nina I will hunt him down to the ends of the earth if that's what you want me to? But I can promise you that he will never lay another finger on you. Not while I'm around." He rushed brushing hair from her face and a flutter in her stomach at his touch and words. "Thank you for staying here with me Sam. I'm sorry to have ruined your plans for the day, if you need to go I understand." She mumbled not knowing why it pained her to see him leave or even think about it.

"I took a sick day off of work. Your more important besides the boys don't mind a few extra hours." It was clearly a lie about the hours but Nina bit her to give knowing he wouldn't leave even if she asked him to, besides he took the day off she didn't want him to feel like he wasted it on someone ungrateful. "Where is Kim? I haven't seen her since yesterday." Nina asked surprises that Lim hadn't come around yet, she usually would have been here even before Sam. "She's catching up on sleep today, she'll stop by later. She didn't sleep until I told her you were gonna be okay." Sam explained making a sad smile come to Nina's face and a dark thought to cross her mind. Sam noticed the slight changes and took a daring chance to ask about it. "What are you thinking about in that pretty head of yours?" He asked making her lightly blush but stay stoic. "You guys are putting in so much trouble in and for what? I feel bad you guys are using so much resources, time and energy just to make sure bland old me is okay." She trailed off in thought.

Sams jaw clenched making her look at him as he heaved quietly to himself. "Nina your not a waste of anything. We all care about you and want to see you get better. And then when your at your healthiest there's some things we gotta talk about just you and me." Sam sighed clearly nervous on whatever the topic was and it caught her interest now. "Like what?" She asked barely above a whisper. It he shook his head not trusting his words to start spilling the second she asked. "Nothing bad I promise but for now you need to worry about getting better." He replied before getting her a water and handing her some of the food on the tray when her mind wandered to who he thanked in the hall. "Who was out there earlier? You thanked them and acted like you knew them?" Nina asked as he looked nervous. "Sue Clearwater. She's a nurse here and I asked her to watch you and make sure no one comes in here as I got us this stuff." He explained and the last name made me think before realization hit.