1.03

Meditation is always a toss of the dice. Some days, Loraana finds it difficult to remain still long enough to clear her mind. Today, as she sits beside Obi-Wan who nervously awaits the return of his master, she somehow finds it easy to just slip away, her thoughts receding into the background and giving way for the Force to infiltrate her mind.

She can still hear him beside her, feel his leg bouncing to every other beat of her heart, sense his frustration with his master though he would never admit it out loud. With Obi-Wan, she has always found it easier to do anything: from training to meditating. In fact, it was Obi-Wan who gave her the idea to practice with dual sabers when he beat her three times in a row. Knowing he favors his right side, she then picked up two batons as the Jedi would never allow younglings to train with real lightsabers without supervision, and struck him off guard. From then on, she had never lost a fight against him.

When she catches the smile growing on her face, she forces it away with a shake of her head along with thoughts of the man sitting beside her. Her futile efforts only result in other memories boiling to the surface like the fear she has pushed down for days after escaping Naboo. When she had landed, she could barely move. Her ship was an outlier, landing where it shouldn't have, so she knew right away she was nowhere near Obi-Wan or Qui-Gon. But then she saw smoke in the distance and her heart nearly gave out.

As a Jedi, she has been taught to push away intense emotions such as rage or terror, but in that moment, her legs had given way beneath her weight. Never before had losing him felt so close, and in that moment, she failed as a Jedi. She let her emotions overwhelm her in a way they never had before.

She had managed to push those feelings away, but meditation has a funny way of reminding her what lies just beyond her grasp. Those emotions hit her gut, knocking the air from her lungs as liquid pools in the corners of her eyes; she finds herself gasping as her body falls deep into the holes she has created for herself in the Force. It surrounds her, infiltrating every crease and pore on her skin digging deep into her body without regard for her wellbeing.

A red light flashes in the distant darkness.

"Loraa!"

Hands grip her arms tightly and drag her up and up and far away from the bottom she will never reach. The Force ebbs away, slinking out of her body as her eyes open, air barely making it into her lungs.

Obi-Wan stands before her, his gaze darting around her face with his expression contorted in worry. "Loraa? What's happened? Are you all right?" He asks, his grip on her arms tightening.

"Something's coming," she rasps as she tries to blink through the tears in her eyes. "Take off on my signal."

She jumps to her feet, but Obi-Wan stops her from moving anymore. "What do you mean? What's coming?"