1.14

Loraana grunts as sweat drips down her spine. She moves quickly and efficiently like an asp waiting to strike with her teeth bared. Though she probably does not seem very threatening to her opponent, it helps Loraana's mind focus on the sparing instead of her nightly trysts she dares not think of, especially in the presence of another Jedi.

She circles him slowly, twisting her wrists to allow for more motion with her batons. Neither Jedi had elected to use their sabers in favor of an all-out battle to prepare them for the war ahead. When she catches him adjusting his grip, she lunges forward with a shout.

She strikes again and again, each of her shots met with his baton. Sometimes, when he goes on the offensive, Loraana takes a few steps back, but she eventually sweeps his legs out from under him and points her batons at his face.

He pants from the ground, an amused twinkle in his eyes. "Good job," he says.

"Well, that means a lot coming from you," Loraana replies, the aggression melting away as quickly as it comes. She helps him up from the ground, groaning a bit too loudly.

Mace rolls his neck as they both hop down from the sparing ring to dab their skin with towels. Loraana sits on a bench and leans her back against the cool stone, humming contently. "You've gotten good. It has been a while since we spared."

"We've been busy," Loraana replies, arching a brow. "What possessed you to ask?"

He shrugs as he sits beside her. "I wanted to check on you."

"Of course." She rolls her eyes and leans forward, resting her arms on her legs. "I am perfectly fine, Master Windu."

He too leans forward as he drinks. "That's not what I mean. I am asking as a brother, not a mentor."

"Well, in that case, I'm still fine." She nudges his shoulder with a playful smile. The movement irritates her bruise, causing her to inhale sharply as her hand flies to her side.

"And what was that?"

"Nothing too bad," She winces. "Just a bruise. But you know I can sense that you have other questions. What is on your mind, Mace?"

He sighs and shakes his head. "Sometimes, I think Master Yoda taught you too well. It's unfair that you see through me, and you remain a mystery."

"I do try."

"You know I have to ask."

Loraana groans as she stands, placing her hands on her hips. She had been expecting it, but she had hoped Mace would take the hint. "I haven't decided yet."

"What's stopping you?" Mace leans back. "Maybe I can help."

"Well, my first question would be asking if you put Yoda up to this little scheme of yours." She narrows her eyes and points at him.