2.07

Warnings: complication with Padmé pregnancy, death

Leaving Mustafar was one of the hardest things Obi-Wan has ever done. But he preservers for Padmé, for the boy who used to be his Padawan, and most of all, for the woman he loved now just a corpse. When he lands on Polis Massa, he cannot bring himself to see her body again, not until he could say that he saved her friend and her unborn child.

He can feel Lorn's steely gaze on the side of his face as they all watch medical droids and natives work on Padmé. Aristeia Naftiri sits beside the senator, holding the woman's hand tightly and whispering in her ear as if she were awake.

For a moment, he wonders about the youngling. Is she still clinging to Loraa's body as if it were her world? Is she wandering the base in search of someone? Has she cried again or been fed? He trusts the people around him have taken care of her, but the thoughts push through any hesitation he feels.

Most of all, he wonders what her name might be.

A medical droid walks out of the operating room. Yoda does not move, but Bail and Lorn straighten up. "Medically, she's completely healthy," the droid says. "For reasons we can't explain, we're losing her."

"She's dying?" Obi-Wan asks, that pit of dread in his gut only growing.

"We don't know why. She has lost the will to live. We need to operate quickly if we are to save the babies."

"Babies?" Lorn echoes. Obi-Wan chances a look over to see his face paling.

"She's carrying twins."

Obi-Wan wanders over to the glass wall that separates them, pressing a hand to the cool material and covering his face with his other hand. Twins. Anakin would be thrilled. Loraa would be thrilled.

Twins. Like her.

He does not know how it is decided, but he watches as Aristeia wakes Padmé from her slumber, coaxing her into delivering early as the natives help induce her labor. It does not take long for Padmé to start pushing, pain evident in her face as the monitors beep menacingly.

No one notices a small child walk into the room, not even Obi-Wan. It jolts him forward when he sees her face pop up on the other side of the operating table to haul her body next to Padmé and across from Aristeia, her dark eyes wandering around the room.

Obi-Wan enters the room, ready to take the girl away until Padmé reaches up to lovingly brush the girl's hair from her eyes. "Hello, baby girl," she whispers before clamping her teeth down to subdue a groan, tears pooling in her eyes.

"I can take her away," Obi-Wan says.

When he wraps his hands around the girl's waist, she snarls and bites down on his wrist, scooting closer to Padmé. She pays his yelp no mind as she turns back to the woman, her eyes wide as if she can understand.