1.04

She avoids him when they enter the council room once more. Loraana keeps her gaze on the floor as she swiftly moves beside Master Yoda's seat and stands behind him, unfortunately facing the three boys she has been traveling with. Instead of meeting her friend's almost worried look, she simply looks past them at the city beyond the temple.

"The Force is strong with him," Master Mundi says, motioning to Anakin. The boy looks terrified to Loraana; it must be clear to everyone in the room. His access to the Force only makes the emotion that much stronger.

"He is to be trained, then?" Qui-Gon asks.

Mace leans back in his seat. "No, he will not be trained."

Loraana sees the look that passes over Anakin's face, almost akin to anger, while Qui-Gon places his hands on his hips. She will be the first to admit she isn't surprised, but she had hoped for a different outcome.

"He is too old," Mace reasons.

"He is the chosen one, you must see it," Qui-Gon replies.

Yoda hums. "Clouded, this boy's future is. Masked by his youth."

"I will train him, then," Qui-Gon says. "I take Anakin as my Padawan learner."

For a moment, she meets her friend's surprised gaze. It only takes a moment to get lost in the clouds, reminding her of why she can't afford to look at him. Loraana tears herself away as Yoda says, "An apprentice you have, Qui-Gon. Impossible to take on a second."

"The code forbids it," Mace adds, as relaxed as ever. She knows he is happy with the decision just by the smug posture.

"Obi-Wan is ready."

He steps forward. "I am ready to face the trials."

"Our own council we will keep on who is ready," Yoda almost snaps. He is getting irritated, Loraana can tell, but what surprises her is when Yoda turns to her. "Thoughts, Padawan?"

Her eyes widen as she looks around the room at the other surprised Jedi. "Master, respectfully, I do not think it is my place—"

"Thoughts?" He repeats.

Loraana clears her throat nervously as she takes a deep breath. "I believe either choice poses great risk, and I would do well to trust my master's judgment."

"Great risk?" Mace asks. She knows better than to call his expression a sneer when he is in front of his Jedi companions, but Loraana can feel his annoyance. "This is not your place to comment."

"At the moment, your sister, she is not. A Padawan learner, she is," Yoda says. "Continue."

Loraana can feel Mace glaring at her. "Well, if he is the chosen one as Master Qui-Gon suggests, then we must teach him. Even if he is older than usual and harbors fear. What child who enters the Order is fearless? But we also risk being the masters of our own destruction if we cannot control that fear." She licks her lips nervously. "On the other hand, rejecting him now may also lead to our end. His midi-chlorian count is extraordinary. If the assassin we saw truly is what I suspect, then the dark side will seek him out, and we won't be able to save him. Either way, we risk everything in order to gain everything."