1.17

Warning: description of complications with pregnancy, hidden pregnancy, descriptions of feeling alone, blood, fear. Reader discretion advised. 

She doesn't like lying to her husband, but she is a politician after all, and if this information is as important as it seems to be, the Jedi should not be involved. Yet. Though Padmé knows she can take care of herself and any issues that arise on her mission, having someone whose sole concern isn't her well-being would be appreciated. Which is why she now has to convince Anakin that taking Ahsoka on a diplomatic mission is a good idea.

"I still don't understand why this is needed." He stands in front of her with his arms crossed. "I can go."

"You are a Republic General who has other obligations," Padmé reasons. "Your Padawan can be spared for a week or two."

"A week?" Anakin raises a brow. "Where is this again?"

"Classified. I would go to the Jedi Council about this or even Obi-Wan, but I want this handled quietly. It's not all that important."

Anakin runs a hand through his growing hair. "He's not doing well. Obi-Wan."

She sighs. "I know." She saw him recently. His beard has grown more, his eyes hollowed and tired. The man who never missed a chance to stare at his self-proclaimed best friend is but a shell now with Loraana missing in action. After six months, there is little hope from the Jedi that she will turn up.

"I wouldn't be any better if something happened to you."

"Nothing is going to happen, I swear." She grips his hands tightly. "Bringing Ahsoka is just a precaution. Would you rather I go alone?"

That is the tipping point. She knows she got him when he lets his head hang down. "I know you would," he mutters before shaking his head. "Fine. Take my Padawan away. You both better come back in one piece."

She presses a kiss to his cheek. "Tell Ahsoka to meet me at the ship in fifteen minutes."

As he leaves her office, Padmé's smile fades. She opens a drawer in her desk and removes a transmitter, pressing it deep into her palm. "Just hang in there," she whispers as if the other person could hear her. "I'm coming."

Luckily, Ahsoka arrives just on time with Anakin in toe. Her husband only looks grumpy when he drops his Padawan off, muttering something about his stupid responsibilities before she whisks Ahsoka onto her sleek silver ship.

"Not that I mind, Senator, but do you mind telling me what we're doing?" Ahsoka asks as Padmé takes off from Coruscant, her leg tucked against her chest. "Anakin said he didn't know."